100th Jäger Division (Wehrmacht)
|100th Jäger Division|
Unit logos of the 100th Jäger division
|Active||10 October 1940 – 1945|
The 100th Jäger Division, formerly the 100th Light Infantry Division (German: 100. Leichte Infanterie Division) was a light infantry division of the German Army during World War II. As such, it was provided with partial horse or motor transport and lighter artillery. Light divisions were reduced in size compared to standard infantry divisions. During the latter stages of the war, the division was composed of members from most of Germany's geographic areas and many German-speaking Walloons (Belgian/French).
The main purpose of the German Jäger Divisions was to fight in adverse terrain where smaller, coordinated formations were more facilely combat capable than the brute force offered by their standard infantry counterparts. The Jäger divisions were more heavily equipped than the mountain Gebirgsjäger equivalents , but not as well armed as a larger infantry division. In the early stages of the war, it was the interface divisions fighting in rough terrain and foothills as well as urban areas, between the mountains and the plains. The Jägers (means "hunters" in German) relied on a high degree of training, and slightly superior communications, as well as their not inconsiderable artillery support. In the middle stages of the war, as the standard infantry divisions were downsized, the Jäger structure of divisions with two infantry regiments, became the standard table of organization.
Initially established in December 1940 as the 100th Light Infantry Division, the unit was raised in Upper Austria, and based in Ried. The 54th Jäger Regiment was detached from the 18th Infantry. The division comprised two-thirds Austrian and one-third Silesian men.
The 100th Light Infantry Division's first campaign as a fighting force was Operation Barbarossa, the invasion of the Soviet Union, where it served with the 17th Army in the Southern Sector. Its first campaign was in the Battle of Uman, followed by action at Kiev and Odessa.
The formation was the only German Jäger Division that fought at the Battle of Stalingrad. The 100th Light Infantry Division, along with the 369th Reinforced Croatian Infantry Regiment, was virtually destroyed at Stalingrad.
Divisional order of battle
- 54th Jäger Regiment (moved from 18th Infantry Division)
- 227th Jäger Regiment
- 83rd Artillery Regiment
- 100th Reconnaissance Battalion
- 100th Panzerjäger Battalion
- 100th Engineer Battalion
- 100th Signal Battalion
- 100th Field Replacement Battalion
- 100th Divisional Supply Troops
- 369th (Croatian) Reinforced Infantry Regiment (attached from October 1941)
- Lieutenant General Werner Sanne (10 October 1940 – 31 January 1943)
- Lieutenant General Willibald Utz (25 April 1943 – 1 January 1945)
- Major General Otto Schury (1 February 1945 – May 1945)
- Mcoy, Breaker (2009). German Army 101st Light Division, 101st Jäger Division 1941 – 42. Archived from the original on 29 June 2009. Retrieved 3 April 2009.
- Mitcham, 2012, pp. 247–248
- Muller, 2012, pp. 97–98
- Hanns Neidhardt, Mit Tanne und Eichenlaub— Kriegschronik der 100. Jäger Division vormals 100. leichte Infanterie Division, Leopold Stocker Verlag Graz-Stuttgart, ISBN 3-7020-0373-8.
- Muller, Rolf-Dieter (2012). The Unknown Eastern Front: The Wehrmacht and Hitler's Foreign Soldiers. New York: I.B. Taurus. ISBN 1-78076-072-8.
- Mitcham, Samuel W. (2007). German Order of Battle, Volume 2: 291st–999th Infantry Divisions, Named Infantry Divisions, and Special Divisions in World War II. Stackpole Books. ISBN 0-81173-437-4.