1171 in Ireland
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|See also:||Other events of 1171 |
List of years in Ireland
Events from the year 1171 in Ireland.
- May – following the death of Diarmait Mac Murchada, King of Leinster, the lordship of Leinster is disputed between his son, Domhnall Caomhánach, and the Cambro-Norman Richard de Clare (Strongbow).
- Henry II of England arrives in Ireland; Irish bishops and most Irish kings submit to his rule.
- Ascall mac Ragnaill, last Norse–Gaelic King of Dublin, is captured while trying to retake Dublin from de Clare, perhaps in company with Sweyn Asleifsson, and beheaded; before the end of the year, de Clare relinquishes possession of the city to his own liege lord, Henry.
- 1 May – Diarmait Mac Murchada, King of Leinster (born 1110).
- Ascall mac Ragnaill, King of Dublin.