13th Light Brigade (Netherlands)
This article does not cite any sources. (June 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|13th Light Brigade|
Logo of the 13th Light Brigade
|Branch||Royal Netherlands Army|
|Motto(s)||Vigilans et paratus|
|Colors||Black & Yellow|
|Brigadier General J.W. (Jan-Willem) Maas|
The 13th Light Brigade (Dutch: 13 Lichte Brigade is one of the three brigades of the Royal Netherlands Army. The other ones are 11th Airmobile Brigade and 43rd Mechanized Brigade. The brigade is a fully motorized brigade, equipped with Fennek, Boxer and Bushmaster wheeled, armoured vehicles.
The brigade was formed as the 13th Motorized Brigade, and came from the 3rd Infantry Brigade. The 3rd Infantry Brigade was part of the First Division '7 December' which was formed on 1 September 1946. In 1950 the brigade was transformed into a mechanized infantry brigade, the 13th Mechanized brigade, which became part of the 4th Division and was stationed in North Germany. After the reforms of 1970 the brigade became again a part of the First Division. In the early 1990s the brigade became a fully mechanized brigade. In 2013, the brigade lost its mechanized infantry fighting vehicles and was equipped with wheeled equipment and therefore renamed 13th Light Brigade.
The 13th Light Brigade is made up by the following units:
- 13th Light Brigade in Oirschot
- 13th Staff Company in Oirschot
- 17th Infantry Battalion, Garderegiment Fuseliers Prinses Irene in Oirschot consisting of a battalion staff, three infantry companies (each consisting of two infantry platoons and an anti tank platoon) and a weapons company (with Spike anti tank missiles and 9 81mm mortars)
- 42nd Infantry Battalion, Regiment Limburgse Jagers in Oirschot consisting of a battalion staff, three infantry companies (each consisting of two infantry platoons and an anti tank platoon) and a weapons company (with Spike anti tank missiles and 9 81mm mortars)
- 30th National Reserve Battalion with five companies in Vlissingen, Breda, Oirschot, Brunssum and Vredepeel
- 41st Armoured Engineer Battalion in Oirschot consisting of a bataljon staff, two armoured engineering companies and a NRBC defence company
- 42 Brigade Reconnaissance Squadron, Huzaren van Boreel in Oirschot
- 13th Maintenance Company in Oirschot
- 13th Medical Company in Oirschot
- 97 Fennek armoured reconnaissance vehicles
- 200 Boxer armoured vehicle in different types.
- 58 Bushmaster Infantry Mobility Vehicles; 12 Command, 12 Maintenance, 12 Cargo and 12 Electronic Warfare.
- 72 Mercedes-Benz G290 CDI Terrain Vehicles