1937 Pulitzer Prize
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The following are the Pulitzer Prizes for 1937.
|Public Service||St. Louis Post-Dispatch||"For its exposure of wholesale fraudulent registration in St. Louis. By a coordinated news, editorial and cartoon campaign this newspaper succeeded in invalidating upwards of 40,000 fraudulent ballots in November and brought about the appointment of a new election board."|
|New York Daily News||"For its public health campaign covering venereal diseases and prophylaxis."|
|Providence Journal and Evening Bulletin||"For a research study of direct and indirect taxes, based upon one year's detailed expenditures of three families of working people."|
|Cleveland Press||"For its investigation and exposé by news, editorials and cartoons of a cemetery racket."|
|The Atlanta Journal||"For its campaign by news, editorials and radio to end corruption and inefficiency in the Police Department."|
|Reporting||"For their coverage of science at the tercentenary of Harvard University."|
|Correspondence||Anne O'Hare McCormick of The New York Times||"For her dispatches and feature articles from Europe in 1936."|
|Editorial Writing||John W. Owens of The Baltimore Sun||"For distinguished editorial writing during the year."|
W. W. Waymack of the Des Moines Register-Tribune
|For a series of editorials on farm tenancy.|
|Editorial Cartooning||C. D. Batchelor of The New York Daily News||"For 'Come on in, I'll treat you right. I used to know your Daddy.'"|
|John Francis Knott of The Dallas News||For his cartoon on dust storms, "Nature's Answer".|
|Quincy Scott of the Portland Oregonian||For "East Side, West Side", depicting Alfred E. Smith waltzing with the Republican elephant.|
Letters and Drama Awards
- Biography or Autobiography:
- "Exposé of fraud and corruption in St. Louis polls". St. Louis Post-Dispatch. May 4, 1937 – via Newspapers.com.
- "Pulitzer Prize for Novel won by 'Gone with Wind'" (PDF). The New York Times. May 4, 1937. (subscription required)
- "Three Iowans win award". The Des Moines Register. May 4, 1937 – via Newspapers.com.
- "'Gone with Wind' wins Pulitzer novel award". Daily News. New York City. May 4, 1937 – via Newspapers.com.
- "Pulitzer Prize awards given by committee". Baltimore Sun. AP. May 4, 1937 – via Newspapers.com.