1964 United Nations Security Council election
four of six non-permanent seats on the United Nations Security Council
The 1964 United Nations Security Council election was held on 29 and 30 December during the nineteenth session of the United Nations General Assembly, held at United Nations Headquarters in New York City. The General Assembly elected four members through consultation of the president, as non-permanent members of the UN Security Council for two-year mandates commencing on 1 January 1965.
The Security Council has 15 seats, filled by five permanent members and ten non-permanent members. Each year, half of the non-permanent members are elected for two-year terms. A sitting member may not immediately run for re-election.
At this time, the United Nations had 115 member states (for a timeline of UN membership, see Enlargement of the United Nations). There were five candidacies for four seats. At the meeting on 29 December 1964, the President of the United Nations General Assembly proposed granting seats to Uruguay, Malaysia, and the Netherlands, a motion that was approved by the assembly. Further discussion of the candidacies of Mali and Jordan was moved to another day.
At another meeting on 30 December 1964, it was agreed that Jordan would occupy the seat for the first year, and Mali for the second.
- List of members of the United Nations Security Council
- Brazil and the United Nations
- Canada and the United Nations
- India and the United Nations
- End of the one year term of Czechoslovakia
- United Nations Security Council (2008), Repertoire of the practice of the Security Council, p. 178, retrieved 3 November 2011
- Conforti, Benedetto (2005), The law and practice of the United Nations, Martinus Nijhoff Publishers, p. 61, retrieved 3 November 2011
- Charter of the United Nations, Article 23
- "Growth in United Nations membership, 1945-present". The United Nations. 6 August 2015. Retrieved 1 May 2020.
- U.N. General Assembly, 19th session. Official Record of One Thousand Three Hundred and thirteenth Meeting Held at Headquarters, New York, On Friday, 29 December 1964. (A/PV.1313) 29 December 1964
- U.N. General Assembly, 19th session. Official Record of One Thousand Three Hundred and Fourteenth Meeting Held at Headquarters, New York, On Wednesday, 30 December 1964. (A/PV.1315) 30 December 1964
- UN Document A/59/881 Note Verbale from the Permanent Mission of Costa Rica containing a record of Security Council elections up to 2004