1983 State of the Union Address
Full video of the speech as published by the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library
|Date||January 25, 1983|
|Time||9:00 p.m. EST|
|Venue||House Chamber, United States Capitol|
|Type||State of the Union Address|
The 1983 State of the Union Address was given by the 40th President of the United States, Ronald Reagan, on Tuesday, January 25, 1983, at 9 p.m. EST, in the chamber of the United States House of Representatives to the 98th United States Congress. It was Reagan's second State of the Union Address and his third speech to a joint session of the United States Congress. Presiding over this joint session was the House Speaker, Tip O'Neill, accompanied by George H. W. Bush, the Vice President of the United States.
The Democratic Party response was delivered by Senator Robert Byrd (WV), Senator Paul Tsongas (MA), Senator Bill Bradley (NJ), Senator Joe Biden (DE), Rep. Tom Daschle (SD), Rep. Barbara Kennelly (CT), House Speaker Thomas P. O'Neill III (MA), Rep. George Miller (CA), Rep. Les AuCoin (OR), Rep. Paul Simon (IL), Rep. Timothy Wirth (CO), and Rep. Bill Hefner (NC).
- "Length of State of the Union Addresses in Minutes". Presidency.ucsb.edu. Retrieved 2012-05-29.
- "Length of State of the Union Addresses". Presidency.ucsb.edu. Retrieved 2012-05-29.
- "List of Opposition Responses to State of the Union Addresses". Presidency.ucsb.edu. Retrieved 2012-05-29.
- (full transcript), The American Presidency Project, UC Santa Barbara.
- 1983 State of the Union Address (video) at C-SPAN
- Full video and audio, Miller Center of Public Affairs, University of Virginia.
1982 State of the Union Address
| State of the Union addresses
1984 State of the Union Address
|This article related to the politics of the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|