2016 AFC Cup qualifying round
|2016 AFC Cup play-off qualifiers|
|Host countries|| Bhutan|
|Dates||11–15 August 2015|
|Teams||6 (from 6 associations)|
|Goals scored||16 (2.67 per match)|
|Attendance||20,500 (3,417 per match)|
|Top scorer(s)|| Emeka Onuoha|
Shakhawat Hossain Rony
(2 goals each)
The AFC Cup qualifying round was held to replace the AFC President's Cup, whose last edition was held in 2014, as starting from 2015, league champions of "emerging countries" were eligible to participate in the AFC Cup qualifying play-off.
In the following table, the number of appearances and last appearance count all those since the 2004 season (including both competition proper and qualifying rounds).
|Association||Team||Qualifying method||App||Last App|
|Bangladesh||Sheikh Jamal Dhanmondi||2013–14 Bangladesh Football Premier League champions||1st||none|
|Bhutan||Druk United||2014 Bhutan National League champions||1st||none|
|Kyrgyzstan||Alga||2014 Kyrgyzstan League 3rd place||1st||none|
|Macau||Benfica de Macau||2015 Campeonato da 1ª Divisão do Futebol champions||1st||none|
|Mongolia||Khoromkhon||2014 Mongolia Premier League champions||1st||none|
|Pakistan||K-Electric||2014–15 Pakistan Premier League champions||1st||none|
For the draw, the pre-selected hosts were placed in their own pot, while the remaining teams were seeded according to the performance of their association in the 2014 AFC President's Cup.
|Pot 1 (Hosts)||Pot 2||Pot 3|
In the qualifying round, each group was played on a single round-robin basis at the pre-selected hosts. The winners of each group advanced to either the qualifying play-off or the group stage (depending on number of teams in each zone and geographical location).
- Greater number of points obtained in the group matches between the teams concerned;
- Goal difference resulting from the group matches between the teams concerned;
- Greater number of goals scored in the group matches between the teams concerned;
- Goal difference in all the group matches;
- Greater number of goals scored in all the group matches;
- Penalty shoot-out if only two teams are involved and they are both on the field of play;
- Fewer score calculated according to the number of yellow and red cards received in the group matches (1 point for a single yellow card, 3 points for a red card as a consequence of two yellow cards, 3 points for a direct red card, 4 points for a yellow card followed by a direct red card);
- Drawing of lots.
The schedule of each matchday was as follows.
|Matchday 1||11 August 2015||Team 3 vs. Team 1|
|Matchday 2||13 August 2015||Team 2 vs. Team 3|
|Matchday 3||15 August 2015||Team 1 vs. Team 2|
|2||Druk United (H)||2||0||2||0||3||3||0||2||—||—||0–0|
|Rasool 8', 45'
|Report||Ts. Dorji 21'
Th. Dorji 75'
|1||Sheikh Jamal Dhanmondi||2||1||1||0||5||2||+3||4||Group stage[a]||—||—||4–1|
|3||Benfica de Macau||2||0||0||2||1||6||−5||0||—||0–2||—|
- Sheikh Jamal Dhanmondi advanced directly to the group stage due to lack of teams in the East Zone.
|Benfica de Macau||0–2||Alga|
|Sheikh Jamal Dhanmondi||4–1||Benfica de Macau|
Rony 77', 86'
|Alga||1–1||Sheikh Jamal Dhanmondi|
|Amirov 22'||Report||Onuoha 78'|
- "AFC Calendar of Competitions 2015" (PDF). AFC.
- "AFC Cup 2016 Play-Off Qualifiers Competition Regulations" (PDF). AFC.
- "AFC President's Cup: The end of a glorious journey". AFC. 26 July 2014.
- "Stage set for 2016 AFC Cup play-off qualifiers". AFC. 29 June 2015.
- AFC Cup, the-AFC.com