2019 Kentucky Attorney General election
Cameron: 50–60% 60–70% 70–80% 80–90%
|Elections in Kentucky|
The 2019 Kentucky Attorney General election was conducted on November 5. Primary elections occurred on May 21, 2019. The general election was held on November 5, 2019. Incumbent Democratic Attorney General Andy Beshear declined to seek reelection to a second term to successfully run for Governor. Republican Daniel Cameron won with 57.8% of the vote. He became the first Republican elected attorney general of Kentucky since Eldon S. Dummit in 1944, and the state's first black attorney general.
- Greg Stumbo, former Attorney General of Kentucky and former Speaker of the Kentucky House of Representatives
- Daniel Cameron, attorney for Senator Mitch McConnell and former University of Louisville football player
- Wil Schroder, member of the Kentucky Senate for the 24th District
- Whitney Westerfield, member of the Kentucky Senate for the 3rd District and candidate for Attorney General in 2015
|Cygnal||May 10–12, 2019||600||± 4.0%||26%||19%||55%|
The general election took place on November 5, 2019 following the May 21 primary elections.
- U.S. federal officials
- Donald Trump, 45th President of the United States
- Ben Carson, U.S. Secretary of Housing and Urban Development
- Tim Scott, U.S. Senator (R-SC)
- James Comer, U.S. Representative (R-KY)
- State and local officials
- Max Wise, state senator
- Damon Thayer, state senator
- John Schickel, state senator
- Kevin Bratcher, state representative
- Jason Nemes, state representative
- Jerry T. Miller, state representative
- Savannah Maddox, state representative
- Patrick Morrisey, Attorney General of West Virginia
- Jason Ravnsborg, Attorney General of South Dakota
- State officials
- McKenzie Cantrell, Kentucky State Representative
- Bill Clouse, Judge on Kentucky's 25th Circuit Court
- Adam Edelen, former Auditor of Kentucky and 2019 gubernatorial candidate
- Nima Kulkarni, Kentucky State Representative
- Mary Lou Marzian, Kentucky State Representative
- Joni Jenkins, Kentucky State Representative
- Derrick Graham, Kentucky State Representative
- Local and county officials
- Kentucky State AFL-CIO
- Kentucky Educators PAC
- Kentucky United Auto Workers
- United Steelworkers
- International Union of Painters and Allied Trades
- International Brotherhood of Boilermakers
- International Brotherhood of Teamsters
- International Union of Operating Engineers
- United Mine Workers of America
- Laborers' International Union of North America (LIUNA)
- Better Schools Kentucky
|The Trafalgar Group (R)||October 29 – November 2, 2019||1,117||± 3.0%||43%||57%||0%||0%|
|Clarity Campaign Labs (D)[A]||August 12–13, 2019||792||± 3.3%||46%||39%||3%||13%|
|Gravis Marketing||June 11–12, 2019||741||± 3.6%||36%||47%||–||16%|
|WPA Intelligence (R)||June 2019||900||± 3.3%||37%||44%||–||18%|
|Republican gain from Democratic|
- Partisan clients
- Poll sponsored by Democratic Attorney General Association
- "Election calendar" (PDF). elect.ky.gov. 2019.
- Wiegel, David (May 23, 2019). "Democrats look past 2020". Washington Post. Retrieved July 31, 2019.
- "President Trump endorses Daniel Cameron in Kentucky attorney general race". WKYT-TV. July 29, 2019. Retrieved July 31, 2019.
- Crain, Brennan (July 31, 2019). "Trump endorses Cameron for attorney general". WCLU. Retrieved August 1, 2019.
- "Greg Stumbo running to serve again as Ky.'s Attorney General". WDRB. Retrieved January 25, 2019.
- "Former Attorney General Greg Stumbo plans to run for the job again". Louisville Courier Journal. Retrieved January 25, 2019.
- "Former U of L football player Daniel Cameron wants to be Kentucky's next attorney general". WDRB. Retrieved January 25, 2019.
- "NKY state senator Wil Schroder will run for Kentucky Attorney General". Cincinnati Enquirer. Retrieved January 25, 2019.
- "Westerfield withdraws from Kentucky attorney general's race". Stamford Advocate. Retrieved January 25, 2019.
- @realDonaldTrump (July 29, 2019). "The Republican Party has a new STAR, his name is Daniel Cameron (@djaycameron), and he is running for Attorney General of the Commonwealth of Kentucky..." (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- @realDonaldTrump (July 29, 2019). "....He is tough on Crime, Strong on Borders, and will fight for our Second Amendment. Daniel will never let you down. He has my Full and Complete Endorsement!" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Cameron, Daniel (31 October 2019). "It was an honor to welcome @RealBenCarson to Louisville this morning. Thankful for his service to our country.pic.twitter.com/x1QdncphDk". @DanielCameronAG.
- Daniel Cameron (October 15, 2019). "Had a fantastic morning in Lexington. Thankful / @SenatorTimScott could stop by and headline an event with us. Directly after that I had the chance to sit down with @MarioAndersonTV and discuss my vision for the office of Attorney General. #DC4AG".
- Damon Thayer (August 17, 2019). "I can't wait to cast my vote this fall for @djaycameron for Attorney General. He'll restore integrity to the office after years of partisan abuse by a succession of pathetic @KyDems like Andy Beshear and retread Greg Stumbo".
- John Schickel (July 24, 2019). "honor 2 endorse @djaycameron 4 ky attorney general. He will make a great attorney general!".
- Jerry T Miller (July 17, 2019). "Proud to support our next Attorney General @djaycameron @RepBratcherKY @jmnemes".
- Savannah Maddox (August 28, 2019). "Enjoyed hearing from our next Attorney General, @DanielCameronAG, at the Optimist Club meeting this afternoon along with Rep. Mark Hart".
- Patrick Morrisey. "Very happy to support @DanielCameronAG for Attorney General of Kentucky. We need another strong, rule of law conservative in our ranks. Daniel's great talent and terrific experiences will help him become an outstanding AG".
- @JasonRavnsborg (July 29, 2019). "Keep up the good work Daniel! Ladies and Gentleman join me in supporting the next Attorney General of Kentucky Daniel Cameron @djaycameron!" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Daniel Cameron. "It is a great honor to receive the endorsement of the bipartisan Kentucky Fraternal Order of Police. To the men and women in blue, I pledge to be your advocate and your voice every day.".
- Our Opinion (November 3, 2019). "Bevin, Cameron, Adams best choices for state". Bowling Green Daily News. Retrieved November 5, 2019.
- "Endorsements". Greg Stumbo for Attorney General. Retrieved August 1, 2019.
- @adamhedelen (July 27, 2019). "2/2 and delivered the best speech I've heard a KY leader make, laying out the case that the biz community has nothing to celebrate when the poor are dying in house fires bc they don't have heat. @StumboForAG isn't perfect but he fights for those that need him. And I'w with him" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "GMcGrath and Stumbo join protesting Harlan County miners who blocked a coal train". Lexington Herald Leader. Retrieved August 1, 2019.
- "2019 General Election" (PDF). Kentucky State Board of Elections. Retrieved December 7, 2019.
- Official campaign websites