36th Republican People's Party Ordinary Convention
The 36th Republican People's Party Ordinary Convention is scheduled to take place on 3 and 4 February 2018. During the convention, several high-ranking positions in the Republican People's Party (CHP), the centre-left main opposition party in Turkey, will be up for election. The party leadership of Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu, who first won the position in 2010, is set to be challenged by several other party members, notably including former CHP parliamentary group leader Muharrem İnce, and former president of the Istanbul Bar Association, Ümit Kocasakal.
Of the five contenders announcing their candidacy for the leadership, only two, namely Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu and Muharrem İnce, appeared to have obtained the required 127 signatures from delegates to formally nominate themselves. The run up to the convention saw fierce infighting between the nationalist and left-wing factions of the party, with particular criticism being directed at Kılıçdaroğlu for seeking another term as leader despite losing all national elections and referendums since 2010.
The convention was precluded by district and provincial party conventions that elected local party chairmen and delegates for the national convention. Particular criticism was directed at the party leadership for allegedly skewing electoral processes in their favour. 77 provincial leaders later announced their support for Kılıçdaroğlu, with rival contender Muharrem İnce alleging that delegates had either been forced or 'bought off' into supporting the incumbent.
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (June 2019)
|Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu||Incumbent party leader, first elected in 2010||
1,085 / 1,266
|Muharrem İnce||Deputy parliamentary group leader of the CHP 2010–2014||
166 / 1,266
Number of delegates/turnout
The following people announced their candidate for the leadership but failed to collect enough signatures to formally nominate themselves:
- Alparslan Çabuk – former leader of the CHP's Ümraniye local chapter,
- Ömer Faruk Eminağaoğlu – President of the Union of Judges and Prosecutors 2006–2009,
- Ümit Kocasakal – President of the İstanbul Bar Association 2010–2016.
- Başaran, Rıfat. "CHP prepares for new congress under 'justice and courage' motto". Hürriyet Daily News. Retrieved 18 January 2018.
- "CHP'de ikinci aday Muharrem İnce". Samanyolu Haber. Retrieved 18 January 2018.
- "CHP'de kurultaya doğru: 'İkinci aday İnce olacak, Kaftancıoğlu etkisi görülecek'". Diken. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
|This Turkish politics-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|