5th Guards Armoured Brigade
|5th Guards Armoured Brigade|
|Engagements||North West Europe Campaign|
The 5th Guards Armoured Brigade was an armoured brigade of the British Army, a component unit of the Guards Armoured Division, that served in World War II in North-west Europe from June 1944 until May 1945.
This brigade was converted from the 20th Infantry Brigade (Guards) on 15 September 1941. It was stationed in the United Kingdom on training and home defence duties, anticipating a potential German invasion. The brigade remained in the United Kingdom until 30 June 1944 when it arrived in Normandy with the rest of the Guards Armoured Division as part of Operation Overlord. The brigade served throughout the North West Europe Campaign. On 12 June 1945 it was converted to the 5th Guards Brigade.
- Brig.W.A.F.L. Fox-Pitt
- Lieut.Col. R. Myddleton
- Brig. C.M. Dillwyn-Venables-Llewelyn
- Brig. Norman Wilmshurst Gwatkin 1943–45
Structure upon formation in 1941:
- 1st Battalion, Coldstream Guards - Armoured
- 1st Battalion, Grenadier Guards - Motorized Infantry
- 2nd Battalion, Grenadier Guards - Armoured
- 2nd Battalion, Irish Guards - Armoured
- "5 Guards Armoured Brigade". www.ordersofbattle.com. Retrieved 19 January 2019.
|This article about a specific British military unit is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|