|Headquarters||101 Cypress Street|
Abilene, TX 79601
Abilene Reporter-News is a daily newspaper based in Abilene, Texas, United States. The newspaper started publishing as the weekly Abilene Reporter, helmed by Charles Edwin Gilbert on June 17, 1881, just three months after Abilene was founded. It is hence the oldest continuous business in the city. It became a daily newspaper in 1885.
Two months after starting the paper, a fire destroyed several buildings in Abilene, including Gilbert's office. He rode the train 21 miles east to Baird and used a borrowed printing press to produce an extra edition on the fire. Two other Abilene papers began publication in the 1880s.
In 1937, the company merged its morning paper, The Morning News, with the afternoon Daily Reporter to form the Abilene Reporter-News. The newspaper published morning and evening editions into the 1950s.
- Texas Historical Commission, historical marker, Abilene, Texas.
- Abilene Reporter News: About Us Archived September 27, 2007, at the Wayback Machine, accessed January 24, 2007.
- Kincaid, Naomi Hatton. "Abilene Reporter-News". Handbook of Texas Online. Retrieved July 5, 2012.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on March 5, 2016. Retrieved 2013-10-14.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link) Scripps to Acquire Harte-Hanks Outlets
- Gores, Paul (April 1, 2015). "Journal, Scripps merger creates two closely aligned media companies". Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel. Retrieved April 3, 2015.