Abraham M. Schermerhorn
Abraham M. Schermerhorn
|3rd Mayor of Rochester, New York|
December 1836 – 1837
|Preceded by||Jacob Gould|
|Succeeded by||Thomas Kempshall|
|Member of the U.S. House of Representatives|
from New York's 28th district
March 4, 1849 – March 3, 1853
|Preceded by||Elias B. Holmes|
|Succeeded by||George Hastings|
|Member of the New York State Assembly|
from the Monroe County, 2nd district
January 1, 1848 – December 31, 1848
|Preceded by||new district|
|Succeeded by||L. Ward Smith|
|Born||December 11, 1791|
Schenectady, New York
|Died||August 22, 1855 (aged 63)|
Savin Rock, Connecticut
|Political party||Whig, Republican|
|Spouse(s)||Mary Kent Adams|
|Alma mater||Union College|
He became the "money king" of the Genesee region as the secretary of Rochester's first bank, before becoming a supervisor of the city in 1834.
In 1837, he became the third mayor of Rochester but resigned after two months to become secretary to the New York State Senate. He became a member of the New York State Assembly (Monroe Co., 2nd D.) in 1848, and was elected as a Whig to the Thirty-first and Thirty-second Congresses, representing New York's 28th congressional district holding office from March 4, 1849, to March 3, 1853.
Schermerhorn was married to Mary Kent Adams (1798–1865). Together, they were the parents of:
- Susan M. Schermerhorn (d. 1846)
- James Adams Schermerhorn (1816–1879), who married Sarah Maria Parker (1819–1874) in 1849.
- Abraham M. Schermerhorn at the Biographical Directory of the United States Congress
- "Rochester Mayors Before the Civil War – Rochester History" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on October 30, 2008. Retrieved July 6, 2008.
- Chase, Salmon Portland; Niven, John (1993). The Salmon P. Chase Papers: Correspondence, 1823-1857. Kent State University Press. p. 276. ISBN 9780873385084. Retrieved January 14, 2018.
- United States Congress. "Abraham M. Schermerhorn (id: S000122)". Biographical Directory of the United States Congress.
- "Abraham M. Schermerhorn". Find a Grave. Retrieved September 3, 2010.
- Abraham Maus Schermerhorn at WikiTree
- Schermerhorn Genealogy and Family Chronicles at www.SchenectadyHistory.org
| Mayor of Rochester, NY
|New York State Assembly|
| New York State Assembly
Monroe County, 2nd District
L. Ward Smith
|U.S. House of Representatives|
Elias B. Holmes
| Member of the U.S. House of Representatives
from New York's 28th congressional district
|This article about a member of the United States House of Representatives from New York State is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a member of the New York State Assembly is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|