In tennis, an ace is a legal serve that is not touched by the receiver, winning the point. In professional tennis, aces are generally seen on a player's first serve, where the server can strike the ball with maximum force and take more chances with ball placement, such as the far corners of the service box. According to the International Tennis Hall of Fame, this term was coined by the sports journalist Allison Danzig.
Professional singles records
Aces have been officially recorded by the top-level professional tennis circuits since 1991, so these records start at that time.
Only main draw singles matches are included here.
John Isner has the most aces in a tournament with 214 during the 2018 Wimbledon, and he has the most in a single match with 113 during his 11 hour encounter with Nicolas Mahut. He is also second on the career list.
Ivo Karlović has the most career aces with 13,455. He also has the most in a best-of-three-set match with 45 at Halle in 2015. Two weeks later, during Wimbledon, he became the only player to hit at least 40 aces in three consecutive matches.
- Most aces in a match
|113||John Isner||W||Nicolas Mahut||1R||2010 Wimbledon||5||Grass|
|103||Nicolas Mahut||L||John Isner|
|78||Ivo Karlović||L||Radek Štěpánek||SF||2009 Davis Cup||5||Clay|
|75||Ivo Karlović||W||Horacio Zeballos||1R||2017 Australian Open||5||Hard|
|67||Reilly Opelka||L||Thomas Fabbiano||2R||2019 Australian Open||5||Hard|
|64||John Isner||W||Ruben Bemelmans||2R||2018 Wimbledon||5||Grass|
|61||Ivo Karlović||W||Lu Yen-Hsun||1R||2016 US Open||5||Hard|
|Ivo Karlović||L||Jan-Lennard Struff||2R||2018 Wimbledon||5||Grass|
|59||Ivo Karlović||L||Kei Nishikori||2R||2019 Australian Open||5||Hard|
|56||Albano Olivetti||L||Matthew Barton||1R||2016 Wimbledon||5||Grass|
- Seasons with 1000+ aces
|6||John Isner||2010, 12, 15–18|
|4||Goran Ivanišević||1994, 96–98|
|Ivo Karlović||2007, 14–16|
|2||Milos Raonic||2012, 14|
|Kevin Anderson||2015, 18|
- Most in a one-week tournament: 144 – John Isner at the 2007 Legg Mason Tennis Classic
- Most consecutive: 10 – Sam Querrey against James Blake at 2007 Indianapolis
- Most aces in a match
|31||Kristýna Plíšková||L||Monica Puig||2R||2016 Australian Open||3||Hard|
|27||Sabine Lisicki||W||Belinda Bencic||2R||2015 Birmingham||2||Grass|
|24||Kaia Kanepi||W||Lucie Šafářová||1R||2008 Tokyo||3|
|Serena Williams||W||Victoria Azarenka||SF||2012 Wimbledon||2||Grass|
|Kristýna Plíšková||W||Karolína Plíšková||2R||2019 Birmingham||3||Grass|
|23||Serena Williams||W||Zheng Jie||3R||2012 Wimbledon||3||Grass|
|Kristýna Plíšková||L||Océane Dodin||1R||2016 Linz||3||Hard|
|22||Brenda Schultz||W||Iva Majoli||QF||1994 Birmingham||3|
|Meghann Shaughnessy||W||Nicole Vaidišová||F||2005 Memphis||2|
|Alicia Molik||L||Venus Williams||QF||2007 Tokyo||2|
- ace - Definition from Dictionary.com.
- TENNIS.com - Tip of the Week - December 19, 2005 - Your Second Serve Archived September 28, 2007, at the Wayback Machine
- "Allison Danzig". International Tennis Hall of Fame. Retrieved 2016-12-02.
- "ASAP Sports Transcripts - Tennis - 2007 - PRESS CONFERENCES - ATP TENNIS MEDIA CONFERENCE - August 8". www.asapsports.com.
- "Five takeaways from Anderson's marathon win over Isner at Wimbledon". tennis.com. Retrieved 13 July 2018.
- "Aces - ATP Tour - Tennis".
- "Karlovic beats Berdych with record 45 aces in Halle; Federer reaches semis".
- "Ivo Karlovic Strikes 41 Aces To Advance At Wimbledon".
- "Goran Ivanisevic - Player Stats - ATP Tour - Tennis".
- "Federer outlasts Roddick for record 15th Slam". ESPN.com. 5 July 2009.
- 2011, 6:05PM BST 16 Jun (16 June 2011). "Tennis record breaker Sam Querry shows how to serve quicker and smarter".
- "The New York Sun". Querrey Gives a Sample Of What May Be in Store. Retrieved July 31, 2007.
- "Serena taken to 3 sets, wins 5th Wimbledon".
- admin (18 November 2016). "Top 10 WTA Aces Leaders In 2016".
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2017-01-24. Retrieved 2017-01-27.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)