Adelaide (given name)
This article does not cite any sources. (November 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Princess Adelaide of Saxe-Meiningen
|Word/name||Old High German|
|Region of origin||World wide|
|Related names||Addie, Addy, Adi, Adelheid, Adel, Heidi, Adelle, Adèle, Adela, Adelina, Adeline, Alice, Alison, Ethel|
Adelaide is the English form of a Germanic given name, from the Old High German Adalheidis, meaning "noble natured".
The modern German form is Adelheid, famously the first name of Adelaide of Saxe-Meiningen, queen consort to William IV of the United Kingdom, for whom many places throughout the former British Empire were named.
The French form is Adélaïde or Adélaide and Czech is Adéla or Adléta. The name Addie is a diminutive of Adelaide and Heidi is a nickname for Adelheid which became internationally popular on its own as a result of Johanna Spyri's novel Heidi (1880).
People with the name
Notable people so named include:
- Saint Adelaide of Italy (died 999), wife of Otto the Great
- Adelaide of Aquitaine (died 1004)
- Saint Adelaide, Abbess of Vilich (died 1015)
- Adelaide of Susa (died 1091)
- Adelaide del Vasto (died 1118)
- Adélaide de Maurienne (1092–1154)
- Adelaide of Poland (died 1211)
- Adelaide of Holland (1230–1284)
- Adélaïde d'Orléans (1777–1847)
- Adelaide of Saxe-Meiningen (1792–1849), Queen Consort of William IV of the United Kingdom
- Adelaide of Löwenstein-Wertheim-Rosenberg (1831–1909) Queen Consort of Miguel I of Portugal
- Adelaide George Bennett (1848–1911), American poet and botanist
- Adelaide Avery Claflin (1846–1931), American woman suffragist and ordained minister
- Adelaide Clemens (born 1989), Australian actress
- Adélaïde Dufrénoy (1765–1825), French poet and painter
- Adelaide Dutcher (fl. 1901), American physician and public health worker
- Adélaïde Victoire Hall (1772–1844), painter
- Adelaide Hoodless (1858–1910), Canadian educational reformer
- Adelaide Kane (born 1990), Australian actress
- Adelaide Knight (1871–1950), British suffragette
- Adélaïde Labille-Guiard (1749–1803), French history and portrait painter
- Adélaïde Leroux (born 1982), French actress
- Adelaide Miethke (1881–1962), Australian educator
- Adelaide Anne Procter (1825–1864), English poet and philanthropist
- Adelaide Wallerstein (1869–1942), American translator, medical doctor, lawyer and clubwoman
- Adelaide, A character on the television series "Over the Garden Wall"
- Miss Adelaide, a character in the musical Guys and Dolls
- Adelaide Brubaker, a character on the television series Diff'rent Strokes
- Adelaide "Addy" Wilson, a character on the television series Gimme a Break!
- Adelaide Wilson née Thomas, a character in the movie Us (2019)
- Adelaide Brooke, a character in the Doctor Who episode "The Waters of Mars"
|given name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article.This page or section lists people that share the same|