|Alternative names||apritada, apretada|
|Place of origin||Philippines|
|Main ingredients||chicken/beef/pork, tomato sauce (or banana ketchup), carrots, potatoes, red and green bell pepper|
|Similar dishes||menudo, kaldereta, hamonado, pininyahang manok|
Afritada is a Filipino dish consisting of chicken, beef, or pork braised in tomato sauce with carrots, potatoes, and red and green bell peppers. It is served on white rice and is a common everyday Filipino meal. It can also be used to cook seafood.
Afritada is a braised dish. It is first made by sautéing garlic and onion and then adding the diced meat to fry until tender. After the meat is sufficiently browned, water and tomato sauce (tomato or banana ketchup can also be used) is poured into the pan, along with diced carrots, potatoes and sliced red and green bell peppers. Sliced tomatoes, green peas, chick peas, or beans can also be added. It can be spiced to taste with salt, black pepper, bay leaves, and fish sauce. The mixture is simmered until the vegetables are cooked. It is served on white rice.
Afritada has different names based on the main ingredients of the dish. The most common ones are afritadang manok (chicken afritada), afritadang baka (beef afritada), and afritadang baboy (pork afritada). Afritada can also be used to cook seafood, like fish (afritadang isda) or mussels (afritadang tahong), utilizing the same basic process as meat afritadas.
Afritada is also commonly cooked hamonado-style (with pineapple chunks). This sweet variant is usually known as "pineapple afritada". It is commonly confused with pininyahang manok, braised chicken also made with pineapples. However, the latter does not use tomato sauce.
- "Apretada". Tagalog Lang. Retrieved 13 December 2018.
- Merano, Vanjo. "Chicken Afritada Recipe". Panlasang Pinoy. Retrieved 13 December 2018.
- Polistico, Edgie (2017). Philippine Food, Cooking, & Dining Dictionary. Anvil Publishing, Incorporated. ISBN 9786214200870.
- "Afritada, A Famous Filipino Stew". FilStop. Retrieved 13 December 2018.
- "Chicken Afritada". Kawaling Pinoy. Retrieved 13 December 2018.
- "Afritada Chicken Recipe". MyFilipnoRecipes. Retrieved 13 December 2018.
- "Fish Afritada". Mama's Guide Recipes. Retrieved 13 December 2018.
- "Afritadang Tahong". Panlasang Pinoy Meaty Recipes. Retrieved 13 December 2018.
- "Pineapple Chicken Afritada". Kawaling Pinoy. Retrieved 13 December 2018.
- "Pininyahang Manok (Pineapple Chicken)". PinoyWay. Retrieved 13 December 2018.
- "RECIPE: Pininyahang Manok". ABS-CBN News. 7 February 2018. Retrieved 13 December 2018.
- "Chicken Afritada (Afritadang Manok)". Panlasang Pinoy Meaty Recipes. Retrieved 13 December 2018.