Afyon Ulu Mosque
The mosque is the most important one of the many mosques in town, at Its architect was Emir Hac Bey. It is an example of the Anatolian wooden mosque architecture from the Seljuk period. A wooden beam roof covering nine naves is supported by 40 wooden columns with well-executed capitals in stalactite decoration. The middle nave is slightly wider than the others, as well as slightly higher. Around the marble prayer niche some verses from the koran are written. The construction date is indicated there also. In 1341 a first restoration was executed by Muinuddin Emir Abdullah Bey, an inscription indicating this can be found on the east front door. The building was preserved in its original shape with a flat roof, however another roof was added during a more recent restoration. The minaret is in brick with lozenge glazed shapes for decoration, a rare survivor from Seljuk times.. It was built in 1272 by Hasan Nusretüddin.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Afyonkarahisar Grand Mosque.|
- "İnanç Turizmi" (in Turkish). Ministry of Culture and Tourism. Archived from the original on April 9, 2018. Retrieved January 16, 2019.
- "Kırk Direkli Afyonkarahisar Ulu Camii" (in Turkish). habitat.org.tr. Archived from the original on January 17, 2019. Retrieved January 16, 2019.
- "Afyonkarahisar Ulu Camii" (PDF) (in Turkish). Atatürk Kültür Merkezi. Archived (PDF) from the original on July 18, 2017. Retrieved January 16, 2019.
- Turkey, Agon cultuur reisgidsen in kleur (Dutch translation of Knaurs Kulturführer in Farbe Türkei) and notice on site.