|Type||Wireless in-ear headphones|
|System on a chip|
Dual beam-forming microphones, dual optical sensors, accelerometer
|Current firmware||3E751 (April 2021)|
0.86 x 0.94 x 1.22 in
(21.8 x 24 x 30.9 mm)
1.78 x 0.85 x 2.39 in
(45.2 x 21.7 x 60.6 mm)
0.19 ounces (5.4 g)
1.61 ounces (45.6 g)
AirPods Pro are wireless Bluetooth in-ear headphones designed by Apple, initially released on October 30, 2019. They are Apple's mid-range wireless headphones, sold alongside the base-level AirPods and highest-end AirPods Max. AirPods Pro use the H1 processor found in second-generation AirPods, but add active noise cancellation, transparency mode, automated frequency profile setting, IPX4 water resistance, a charging case with wireless charging, and interchangeable silicone tips.
Apple announced AirPods Pro on October 28, 2019, and released them two days later on October 30, 2019. They include features of standard AirPods, such as a microphone that filters out background noise, accelerometers and optical sensors that can detect presses on the stem and in-ear placement, and automatic pausing when they are taken out of the ears. Control by tapping is replaced by pressing a force sensor on the stems. They are rated IPX4 for water resistance.
The AirPods Pro use the H1 chip also found in second-generation AirPods that supports hands-free "Hey Siri". They have active noise cancellation, accomplished by microphones detecting outside sound and speakers producing precisely opposite "anti-noise". Active noise cancellation can be turned off or switched to "transparency mode" that helps users hear surroundings. Noise cancellation modes can also be switched in iOS or by pinching the stems of the AirPods using the force sensor.
Battery life is rated to be equal to the second-generation AirPods at five hours, but noise cancellation or transparency mode reduce it to 4.5 hours due to the extra processing. The charging case advertises the same 24 hours of total listening time as the standard AirPods case. It also features Qi standard wireless charging compatibility. Like AirPods, AirPods Pro have received criticism for their battery life.
AirPods Pro come with three sizes of silicone tips. There is a software test in iOS called the Ear Tip Fit Test that "[checks] the fit of your AirPods ear tips to determine which size provides the best seal and acoustic performance" to ensure a correct fit, as well as a feature called "Adaptive EQ" which automatically adjusts the frequency contour, claimed to better match the wearer's ear shape. Starting in early 2020, Apple started selling tip replacements for AirPods Pro on their website.
With iOS 14 and iPadOS 14, Apple added a spatial audio mode designed to simulate 5.1 surround sound. Supported apps include the Apple TV app, Disney+ and HBO Max. Spatial audio requires an iPhone or iPad with an Apple A10 processor or newer. tvOS 15 will bring spatial audio to the Apple TV 4K.
Support for AirPods Pro was added in iOS 13.2, watchOS 6.1, tvOS 13.2, and macOS Catalina 10.15.1. They are compatible with any device that supports Bluetooth, including Windows and Android devices, although certain features such as automatic switching between devices are only available on Apple devices using its iCloud service.
- "AirPods Pro - Technical Specifications". Apple. Retrieved October 29, 2019.
- Axon, Samuel (October 28, 2019). "Apple announces AirPods Pro". Ars Technica. Retrieved October 28, 2019.
- Welch, Chris (October 28, 2019). "Apple announces AirPods Pro with noise cancellation, coming October 30th". The Verge. Retrieved October 28, 2019.
- "AirPods Pro". Apple. Retrieved October 29, 2019.
- Cipriani, Jason. "The 9 new AirPods Pro tricks you need to master now". CNET. Retrieved November 3, 2019.
- Mihalcik, Carrie. "AirPods Pro are $249, might actually fit in your ears and available Oct. 30". CNET. Retrieved October 29, 2019.
- Dube, Belinda (March 11, 2020). "Advanced System in Package Technology in the Apple AirPods Pro" (PDF). System Plus Consulting. Retrieved January 6, 2021.
- Lee, Dami (October 28, 2019). "Apple releases iOS 13.2 with support for AirPods Pro and iPhone 11 Deep Fusion". The Verge. Retrieved October 29, 2019.
- Eadicicco, Lisa. "Samsung is launching a new pair of wireless earbuds, and it sounds like they will have one big advantage over Apple's AirPods". Business Insider. Retrieved February 11, 2020.
- Statt, Nick (April 15, 2020). "Apple now sells AirPods Pro tip replacements on its website". The Verge. Retrieved April 16, 2020.
- "Which Apple Devices and Video Services Support 'Spatial Audio' on AirPods Pro?". Lifehacker Australia. September 16, 2020. Retrieved September 21, 2020.
- "Listen with spatial audio for AirPods Pro". Apple Support. Retrieved September 21, 2020.
- Espósito, Filipe (June 16, 2021). "Comment: tvOS 15 is a small update, but it brings two important new features to Apple TV". 9to5Mac. Retrieved June 24, 2021.
- Bailey, Abram. "AirPods Pro Become Hearing Aids in iOS 14". Hearing Tracker.