This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (February 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Minister of Finance (Tesorería de la Nación)|
|President of Banfoandes|
|Born||12 August 1964|
Coche, Caracas, Venezuela
|Alma mater||Military Academy of Venezuela|
Alejandro Andrade (born 2 August 1964) is a former Venezuelan military officer and politician. A 1987 graduate of the Military Academy of Venezuela, he was appointed as Minister of Finance and President of Banfoandes under the administration of then president Hugo Chávez. Andrade, a member of Venezuela's boliburguesía, currently serves a ten-year sentence for money laundering.
Alejandro Andrade was born in the parish of Coche, located southwest of Caracas, Venezuela. In 1987, he graduated from the Venezuelan Academy of Military Sciences and participated in the 1992 coup d'état attempts alongside then revolutionary Hugo Chávez. During the 1998 presidential campaign of Chavez, Andrade acted as his personal bodyguard and secretary. After being elected president, Chávez appointed Andrade to be his private secretary. He had been involved in numerous bureaucratic positions, all related to the finance and economical sectors since then, and until his relocation to the United States.
In December 2017, Andrade pleaded guilty to receiving more than a billion dollars from Raúl Gorrín, president of Globovisión channel, and others in exchange for using his position as Minister of Finance to adjudicate transactions in foreign exchange. On Tuesday February 19, 2019 He was sentenced to 10 years in prison due to different money laundering crimes with the biggest one being a $2.4 billion money scheme. Andrade turned himself over to authorities in the United States on 25 February 2019.
- "US jails Venezuelan paid $1bn in bribes". Bbc.com. 27 November 2018. Retrieved 4 February 2019.
- "¿Quién es Alejandro Andrade, el ojo más caro del mundo?". Elestimulo.com. 27 November 2018. Retrieved 4 February 2019.
- Musgrave, Jane. "Alejandro Andrade: Feds unseal indictment that implicates Wellington-based show horse owner". The Palm Beach Post. Retrieved 2019-02-20.
- "Alejandro Andrade, extesorero nacional de Hugo Chávez fue condenado a 10 años de prisión en Estados Unidos". Infobae. 27 November 2018.
- Musgrave, Jane. "Alejandro Andrade: Apologetic Venezuelan who lived in Wellington gets 10 years". The Palm Beach Post. Retrieved 2019-02-20.
- "Former top Venezuelan official surrenders to U.S. prison for role in $1 billion racket". The Miami Herald. 2019-02-26. Retrieved 2019-02-27.