Sir Alexandre Lacoste
|Senator for De Lorimier, Quebec|
January 11, 1884 – September 13, 1891
|Appointed by||John A. Macdonald|
|Preceded by||Jacques-Olivier Bureau|
|Succeeded by||Alphonse Desjardins|
|Member of the Legislative Council of Quebec for Mille-Isles|
March 4, 1882 – December 6, 1883
|Preceded by||Jean-Baptiste Lefebvre de Villemure|
|Succeeded by||Charles Champagne|
|Born||January 13, 1842|
Boucherville, Canada East
|Died||August 17, 1923 (aged 81)|
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
|Relations||Louis Lacoste, father|
|Portfolio||Speaker of the Senate (April 27, 1891 – September 13, 1891)|
In 1882, he was appointed to the Legislative Council of Quebec. In 1884, he was called to the Senate of Canada representing the senatorial division of De Lorimier, Quebec. A Conservative, in April 1891, he was appointed Speaker of the Senate and served until he resigned from the Senate in September 1891 when he was appointed Chief Justice of the Court of Queen's Bench of Quebec. He retired in 1907. In 1892 he was made a Knight Bachelor. He died in Montreal in 1923.
Alexandre Lacoste married Marie Louise Globensky, daughter of Leon Globensky, of Montreal on May 8, 1866. She was member of the First presidential board, Fédération nationale Saint-Jean-Baptiste, Montréal, 1907. She was a member of the Advisory Board of the Parks and Playgrounds Association of Montreal.
The couple`s eldest son, Louis Joseph Lacoste married Bertha Louisa, daughter of M. S. Foley, Esquire, editor-proprietor of the Journal of Commerce. Marie, their eldest daughter, wrote legal text-books and married an Advocate, Henri Gerin-Lajoie.
Blanche, their second daughter, married Joseph P. Landry, son of Senator Landry. Another daughter, Justine married Louis de Gaspe, son of Hon. Louis Beaubien. Justine Lacoste-Beaubien was a founder of the children's hospital Sainte-Justine Hospital.
- Morgan, Henry James, ed. (1903). Types of Canadian Women and of Women who are or have been Connected with Canada. Toronto: Williams Briggs. p. 191.
- Normand, Sylvio (2005). "Lacoste, Sir Alexandre". In Cook, Ramsay; Bélanger, Réal (eds.). Dictionary of Canadian Biography. XV (1921–1930) (online ed.). University of Toronto Press.
- "Speakers of the Senate" (PDF). Library of Parliament. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2006-09-12. Retrieved 2006-07-27.
- Alexandre Lacoste – Parliament of Canada biography
- "Biography of Alexandre Lacoste". Dictionnaire des parlementaires du Québec de 1792 à nos jours (in French). National Assembly of Quebec.