Alice Springs railway station
Station in July 2015
|Location||George Crescent, Alice Springs|
|Owned by||Journey Beyond|
|Operated by||Journey Beyond|
|Distance||1,546 kilometres from Adelaide|
|Opened||9 October 1980|
The original Alice Springs station opened in Railway Terrace in 1929, when the Central Australia Railway opened. A freight yard was located on what is now Murray Neck's shopping complex.
The present station opened on 9 October 1980 when a new line opened from Tarcoola. The station was included in the sale of Australian National's passenger operations to Great Southern Rail on 1 November 1997. It served as the terminus of the line until it was extended to Darwin in February 2004.
In the foyer of the current station is a memorial, by sculptor Gabriel Stark, this memorial is in memory of the Afghan camel trains that transported supplies to Central Australia before the arrival of the train.
- Alice Springs map Archived 2015-04-02 at the Wayback Machine SA Track & Signal
- Fourth Council 1980-1984 Alice Springs Town Council
- "Goodbye AN Passenger, Hello Great Southern Railway" Railway Digest December 1997 page 7
- The Ghan Memorial Monument Australia
- The Ghan Timetable 2019-2020 Journey Beyond
Media related to Alice Springs Railway Station at Wikimedia Commons