|Born: May 29, 1989|
Kibbutz Gezer, Israel
Alon Leichman (born May 29, 1989) is an Israeli pitching coach of the West Virginia Power, a Class A affiliate of the Seattle Mariners in the South Atlantic League. He has been a baseball pitcher and coach. He coaches for Team Israel and served as Coordinator of Organizational Learning for the Seattle Mariners' player development program. He also plays for Team Israel.
Prior to that Leichman served as the pitching coach for the Yarmouth-Dennis Red Sox of the Cape Cod Baseball League, and pitched for UC San Diego Tritons and Cypress College, leading them to the 2013 CCCAA state title.
He coached Team Israel at the 2017 World Baseball Classic in March 2017, in South Korea and Japan. He pitched for Team Israel at the 2019 European Baseball Championship. He also pitched for the team at the Africa/Europe 2020 Olympic Qualification tournament in Italy in September 2019, which Israel won to qualify to play baseball at the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo.
Leichman was born in Kibbutz Gezer, Israel, about halfway between Jerusalem and Tel Aviv. His parents, David Leichman and Marilyn Gold, moved to Israel from Michigan in the 1970s. Leichman has two siblings, Eliora and Arishai. He graduated from Givat Brenner Regional School in 2007. Following high school, Leichman served three years with the Israel Defense Forces. He is good friends with, and works out with, major league pitcher Joe Musgrove.
During the off-season, Leichman competes for the Israeli national baseball team in international tournaments.
European Baseball Championship
Leichman competed for Israel during the qualifying round of the 2010 European Baseball Championship, in 2008. During the opening game, against Bulgaria, he started at shortstop and batted 8th, going 0-for-2 with 2 walks and 2 runs scored, before becoming a relief pitcher giving up 1 run on 1 hit in his 1 inning. During the second game, against Croatia, Leichman was the starting pitcher and went 8 innings, giving up 6 hits and 2 earned runs, while walking 5 and striking out 9, before switching to shortstop in the 9th and batted 1-for-4 while striking out 3 times. During the third game, he started at shortstop against Serbia, going 0-for-2 with 2 walks and scoring 2 runs. During the fourth and final game, against Lithuania, Leichman once again played shortstop and batted 5th, going 0-for-4 finishing the qualifier with a .083 batting average.
Leichman competed for Israel during the qualifying round of the 2012 European Baseball Championship, in 2011, and was the designated hitter in all five games. During the opening game, against Georgia, he batted second and hit a double in 3 at bats, with 2 RBIs and a walk. During the second game, against Great Britain, batting third, Leichman went 0-for-3 with a strikeout. During the third game, against Lithuania, he batted third and got a double in 4 at bats with a walk, 2 RBIs and a run. In the first game of the home/away finals against Great Britain, Leichman hit a double in four at bats with a walk and scored two runs. Later that same day, Leichman batted second, and went 1-for-4 with a run scored.
Leichman competed for Israel during the qualifying round of the 2016 European Baseball Championship. During the C-Level qualifier in 2014, he only pitched in the finals game against Slovenia, pitching a complete game shutout, giving up only one hit, while walking 1 and striking out 9. Leichman's only appearance in the B-Level qualifier in 2015 was in the second game, against Poland, where he pitched 8 innings while giving up four earned runs, on eight hits, and struck out 5.
Leichman competed on the Israel national baseball team for qualification for the 2020 Olympics. He started one game as the team played in the 2019 European Baseball Championship - B-Pool in early July 2019 in Blagoevgrad, Bulgaria, winning all of its games and advancing to the playoffs against Team Lithuania in the 2019 Playoff Series at the end of July 2019 for the last qualifying spot for the 2019 European Baseball Championship. He was 0-0 with an 11.12 ERA in 5.2 innings.
He also pitched for the team at the Africa/Europe 2020 Olympic Qualification tournament in Italy in September 2019, which Israel won to qualify to play baseball at the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo.
World Baseball Classic
Leichman was on the roster for Israel during 2013 World Baseball Classic, however he did not make an appearance. He was later the bullpen coach for Israel at the 2017 World Baseball Classic qualifier. He returned in the same role for Team Israel at the 2017 World Baseball Classic.
Playing and coaching career
MLB European Academy
Leichman attended Cypress College from 2010–13, and was a member of the baseball team for three seasons. He was supposed to be the closer for the 2011 season, before popping his elbow during his first appearance. Leichman needed Tommy John surgery, and was out for all of the 2011 season, and pitched only 11.1 innings during 2012. He pitched for the Menlo Park Legends of the California Collegiate League, the summer college league, in order to help recover from Tommy John surgery. While playing he earned the First-Team All-Far West League honors with a 2.18 ERA in 53 2/3 innings. Leichman came back in 2013 to aid the Chargers to a State Championship logging a 1.42 ERA over 31.2 innings, highlighted by a complete-game shutout in a spot start to win the super regional.
Leichman spent three years playing for the UC San Diego Tritons, while getting his history degree at UC San Diego, until graduating in 2016. He aided the team to back to back postseason appearances. Career 3.50 ERA in 122 innings, striking out 85 batters to only 20 walks. As a junior, Leichman made 12 starts and 1 relief appearance, going 7-2 with a 3.71 ERA and walked just nine in 53.1 innings. As a senior, he made 9 starts and 5 relief appearances, working 68.2 innings with 48 strikeouts.
Yarmouth–Dennis Red Sox
Los Angeles Dodgers organization
Seattle Mariners organization
Leichman was Coordinator of Organizational Learning for the Seattle Mariners' player development program in 2017, supporting the organization's minor league managers and coaches. In 2018 he was the Pitching Coach of the Mariners Dominican Academy in the Dominican Summer League.
- "Alon Leichman Joining Seattle Mariners Organization Coaching Staff". baseball.org.il. Retrieved September 25, 2019.
- "Alon Leichman Bio," UCSDTritons.com.
- "Israeli Pitcher Won’t Let Go Of Baseball", Baseball America.
- "Israel at the World Baseball Classic; From Curiosity to Contender", The New York Times, March 12, 2017.
- 29 Alon Leichman
- "2 Alon Leichman," Cypress College Athletics.
- "'Born to play sports': Joe Musgrove and athleticism, a match made in heaven," Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
- "Israel vs Bulgaria (July 7, 2008)"
- "Croatia vs Israel (July 8, 2008)"
- "Israel vs Serbia (Jul 9, 2008)"
- "Lithuania vs Israel (July 11, 2008)"
- "Georgia vs Israel (July 26, 2011)"
- "Israel vs Great Britain (July 27, 2011)"
- "Israel vs Lithuania (July 28, 2011)"
- "Israel vs Great Britain (Jul 29, 2011)"
- "Great Britain vs Israel (July 29, 2011)"
- "Slovenia vs Israel (August 2, 2014)"
- "Poland vs Israel (July 28, 2015)"
- "European Championship Seniors B 2019 - Pool 2 - Individual Statistics," baseballstats.eu.
- Scott Barancik (July 8, 2019). "For Israel, sweet victory; Long road to Olympic berth begins with triumph in Bulgaria," Jewish Baseball News.
- "European Championship Seniors B - Pool 2 - Individual Statistics," baseballstats.eu.
- "Moving on up". Jewish Baseball News. 2019-09-13. Retrieved 2019-09-23.
- World Baseball Classic[permanent dead link]
- "Team Israel Announces Coaching Staff for World Baseball Classic," baseball.org.il.
- "Triton Baseball in the Professional Ranks"
- "#29 Leichman, Alon - 13 appearances (All games)"
- "#29 Leichman, Alon - 14 appearances (All games)"
- "Coaches", Yarmouth-Dennis Red Sox.
- "Los Angeles Dodgers recruit Israeli ballplayer to coach for its organization; Alon Leichman, 27, was recently coaching pitchers for the Israeli national team during World Baseball Classic qualifying round," Haaretz, October 28, 2016.
- Danny Moran (October 25, 2017). "Behind the scenes with Oregon State, the best pitching staff in college baseball," The Oregonian.
- "האיגוד הישראלי לבייסבול - Alon Leichman Joining Seattle Mariners Organization Coaching Staff", Israel Baseball.
- "Rainiers welcome back Listach and staff; Mariners announce other minor-league coaches for 2018," The Olympian, January 10, 2018.
- "The Mariners are making some interesting “outsider” hires in the minors," Lookout Landing.
- "West Virginia Power announces new coaching staff", Charleston Gazette-Mail, January 15, 2019.
- "Logan Gilbert is learning some new tricks," Lookout Landing.
West Virginia Power roster
7-day injured list