Altiburus was a Roman–Berber town located in Africa Proconsularis. The town is tentatively identified with ruins at Henchir-Medeina (sometimes Medét'na) (coordinates: 35 ° 52 '24 "N, 8 ° 47' 13" E) in modern Tunisia.
There are remains of de:Altiburus (Titularbistum) such as the Forum, a theatre, and houses with mosaics. Some small pre-Roman finds have also been made. In addition, numerous inscriptions in Punic and Latin were found. The site is currently being excavated by Catalan University of Barcelona.
In antiquity, Altiburus lay on the road from Carthage to Theveste, 35 km from El Kef on the confluence of two streams, north of the present location of Dawwar Awlad Gama. The name of the town comes from the Punic language and evidence of inscription there suggest a strong Punic population element. The Emperor Hadrian granted the town Municipium status. The arrival of Islam took place in the end of the 7th century.
- Victor fl393 (Donatist/Maximentius bishop)
- Basilius fl397-418 (Catholic bishop)
- Augustalis (Donatist Bishop and rival at the Council of Carthage to basilius)
- Vindemius (Catholic bishop) fl484 at the Council of Huneric
- Gerald Emmett Carter (1 Dec 1961 Appointed – Feb 17 1964 Appointed, Bishop of London, Ontario)
- Charles Borromeo wings (Sep 7 1968 Appointed – Jun 1 2004)
- Gerald Thomas Walsh (28 Jun 2004 Appointed -)
- Werner Huss : In Althiburus. 's New Pauly (DNP). Volume 1, Metzler, Stuttgart 1996, ISBN 3-476-01471-1, Sp. 562nd
- Alfred Merlin : Forum et maisons d'Althiburos (Paris 1913).
- Mongi Ennaifer: La cité d'Althiburos et l'édifice of Asclépieia Tunis 1976.
- Karel Jongeling. Handbook of Neo-Punic Inscriptions Tübingen 2008, p 155 ff.
- Altiburus at catholic-hierarchy.org.
- Titular Episcopal See of Altiburus at GCatholic.org.