Andrew Fleming West
|Andrew Fleming West|
West in 1889.
|Born||Andrew Fleming West
May 17, 1853
Allegheny, Pennsylvania, United States of America
|Died||December 27, 1943(aged 90)|
|Alma mater||Princeton University|
West was born in Allegheny, Pennsylvania on May 17, 1853. He studied at Princeton University from 1870 to 1874. In his final year at Princeton he founded the Princeton Glee Club. After graduating, he taught Latin at a high school in Cincinnati for six years. He then went to Europe to carry out academic study, before taking up a position as principal of the Morris Academy in Morristown, New Jersey.
In 1883 West accepted a position as professor of Latin at Princeton University, where he served as Giger Professor of Latin for forty-five years until his retirement in 1928. In December 1900 West was appointed as the first dean of the newly founded Graduate School at Princeton University. As dean, he was instrumental in creating the Princeton University Graduate College, a residential college for graduate students. After a number of setbacks, and a disagreements with Woodrow Wilson (President of Princeton University, 1902–1910) about the siting of the proposed graduate college, it finally became a reality with the death of Isaac C. Wyman in 1910, who bequeathed $800,000 for the purposes of founding a graduate college. The graduate college was dedicated on October 22, 1913.
West was president of the American Philological Association in 1902.
- 1892. Alcuin and the Rise of the Christian schools. New York: Charles Scribner's sons.
- 1902. A Latin Grammar for Schools. New York: D. Appleton and Co.
- 1913. The Graduate College of Princeton. Princeton University Press.
- 1929. A Narrative of the Graduate College of Princeton University : from its proposal in 1896 until its dedication in 1913. Seeley G. Mudd Manuscript Library, Princeton University.
- Davies, John D. "West, Andrew Fleming". Princeton University. Retrieved January 19, 2015.
- "Andrew Fleming West, Class of 1874 (1853–1943), Before 1928", Campus Art Princeton, retrieved January 19, 2015