|50th Attorney General of Kentucky|
|Assumed office |
January 4, 2016
|Preceded by||Jack Conway|
Andrew Graham Beshear
November 29, 1977
Louisville, Kentucky, U.S.
|Relations||Steve Beshear (father)|
|Residence||Louisville, Kentucky, U.S.|
|Education||Vanderbilt University (BA)|
University of Virginia (JD)
Andrew Graham Beshear (born November 29, 1977) is an American lawyer and politician serving as the 50th and current Attorney General of Kentucky. He is a member of the Democratic Party. His father, Steve Beshear, served as the 61st Governor of Kentucky from 2007 to 2015. He is a candidate for Governor of Kentucky in the 2019 election.
Early life, education and law career
Beshear grew up in Fayette, Franklin, and Clark counties and graduated from Henry Clay High School. He is the son of Steve and Jane (Klingner) Beshear. Andy's father Steve was the Governor of the Commonwealth of Kentucky from 2007 to 2015.
Beshear attended Vanderbilt University, and he earned a bachelor's degree in political science and anthropology. He then attended the University of Virginia School of Law, where he received his Juris Doctor. In 2005, he was hired by the law firm Stites & Harbison. He graduated magna cum laude from Vanderbilt University, and from the University of Virginia School of Law. He has represented the developers of the Bluegrass Pipeline, which would transport natural gas through the state.
Kentucky Attorney General
Beshear announced his campaign for the 2015 election for Attorney General of Kentucky in November 2013 to succeed Democrat Jack Conway, who could not run for reelection due to term limits. Beshear defeated Republican Whitney Westerfield, and was sworn into office in January 2016.
In April 2016, Beshear sued Matt Bevin, the Governor of Kentucky, over his mid-cycle budget cuts to the state university system, which Beshear says Bevin is not authorized to do. On September 21, 2016, the Kentucky Supreme Court issued a 5-2 ruling agreeing with Beshear that Bevin did not have the authority to make mid-cycle budget cuts without the approval of the General Assembly.
On April 11, 2018, Beshear filed a lawsuit against Bevin after he signed Senate Bill 151, a controversial plan to reform teacher pensions. On December 13, 2018, Beshear won the lawsuit after the Supreme Court ruled the bill “unconstitutional”.
As Kentucky Attorney General, Beshear joined 15 other attorneys general in December 2018 in opposing the ruling of a Texas judge that the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) was unconstitutional. Beshear said that "for so many families [the Affordable Care Act] is a matter of life and death."
On July 9, 2018, Beshear declared his candidacy for the Democratic nomination for Governor of Kentucky in the 2019 election. His running mate is Jacqueline Coleman, an assistant principal and former candidate for a state house seat. In announcing his candidacy, Beshear said he would "make public education a priority."
- "Andy Beshear announces run for governor". The Courier-Journal.
- "The Attorney General - Kentucky Attorney General". ag.ky.gov. Retrieved March 23, 2017.
- "Profile: Meet Andy Beshear, the Democratic nominee for attorney general". Kentucky.com. Retrieved November 3, 2015.
- "Beshear taps father's network in AG run". Paducah Sun. Retrieved November 3, 2015.
- Bruggers, James (August 2, 2013). "Kentucky Governor Steve Beshear's son working for Bluegrass Pipeline developers". The Courier-Journal. Retrieved November 3, 2015.
- "Andy Beshear Announces Bid for Kentucky Attorney General". WFPL News. November 14, 2013. Retrieved July 22, 2014.
- "Andy Beshear breaks fundraising record for down-ballot 2015 race". CN2. October 3, 2013. Retrieved November 7, 2014.
- "Andy Beshear prevails for attorney general". The Courier-Journal. November 3, 2015. Retrieved December 15, 2015.
- Smith, Lawrence (November 10, 2015). "Democratic Attorney General-elect Andy Beshear pledges cooperation". WDRB-TV. Retrieved December 15, 2015.
- Loftus, Tom (April 11, 2016). "AG Beshear sues to reverse Bevin university cuts". The Courier-Journal. Retrieved April 11, 2016.
- "Ky. Supreme Court Rules Bevin Can't Cut Budget of Public Colleges, Universities". WKYT. September 21, 2016. Retrieved September 21, 2016.
- "Andy Beshear goes after teacher vote in announcing bid for governor". The Courier-Journal. Retrieved December 25, 2018.
- Henry, Morgan (November 19, 2018). "Beshear files 9th lawsuit on opioid epidemic". ABC 36 News. Retrieved December 25, 2018.
- "'It is a matter of life and death': Andy Beshear to fight ACA ruling". The Courier-Journal. Retrieved December 25, 2018.
- "Andy Beshear becomes first to announce run for Kentucky governor". The Courier-Journal. July 9, 2018. Retrieved July 9, 2018.
- "Jacqueline Coleman named Beshear's running mate". Kentucky Standard. 2018.
| Attorney General of Kentucky