Anthony Turner Andreasen
Anthony Turner Andreasen
|Born||18 November 1906|
|Died||8 June 1986(aged 79)|
|Education||Bedford Modern School|
|Alma mater||University of London|
Professor Anthony Turner Andreasen FRSE FRCSE FICS MRCS (18 November 1906 – 8 June 1986) was an eminent surgeon, Chair of Surgery at Orissa Medical School, Chair of Surgery at the Calcutta Medical College, Surgeon to the Viceroy of India, Fellow of Surgery at Johns Hopkins University, Government Surgeon in Ghana and Uganda, author, and in his later years Professor of Surgery at the University of Cambridge.
Andreasen had a distinguished career in the Indian Medical Service holding chairs of surgery in Orissa and Calcutta and acting as surgeon to the Viceroy. He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh on 1 March 1943.
During World War II he attained the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel on the North West Frontier. After the war, Andreason was invited to the United States to continue his pioneering research into open heart surgery and became Fellow of Surgery at Johns Hopkins University. His paper on low-flow physiology in the 1952 British Journal of Surgery greatly influenced the work of C. Walton Lillehei who was also at Johns Hopkins University.
Andreasen returned to Britain in 1954 to conduct further research before taking up the post of government surgeon in Ghana and Uganda. On his return to England in 1976 he took up a Professorship at the University of Cambridge.
- Formats and Editions of Christian medical practice in Africa. [WorldCat.org]. worldcat.org. OCLC 14532863.
- "OBITUARY". Br Med J (Clin Res Ed). 294 (6567): 318–319. 1987. doi:10.1136/bmj.294.6567.318. PMC 1245335.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2015-09-19. Retrieved 2015-02-05.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Eagle News, The Magazine of Old Bedford Modernians, Number 54, January 1987
- England & Wales, Death Index, 1916-2007
- School of the Black and Red, by Andrew Underwood (1981)
- "Year Book". google.co.uk. 1983. Retrieved 5 February 2015.
- "Andreasen Centre for Holistic Health - Our History". andreasencentre.org.uk. Retrieved 5 February 2015.
- Naef, A. (2003). "The mid-century revolution in thoracic and cardiovascular surgery: Part 6". Interactive Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery. 2 (3): 219–226. doi:10.1016/S1569-9293(03)00130-0. PMID 17670033. Retrieved 5 February 2015.
- "List of the Fellows, Members, Extra-licentiates and Licentiates of the Royal ... - London (England). Royal College of physicians - Google Books". google.co.uk. 1970. Retrieved 5 February 2015.
- "Roll of Honour - Bedfordshire - Bedford Modern School - World War 2". roll-of-honour.com. Retrieved 5 February 2015.
- England & Wales Death Index, 1916-2007