|Cincinnati Reds – No. 44|
|Born: April 22, 1994|
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
|August 19, 2018, for the Cincinnati Reds|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2020 season)
|Runs batted in||55|
Aquino signed with the Cincinnati Reds as an international free agent from the Dominican Prospect League in January 2011. He made his professional debut that year with the Dominican Summer League Reds and also spent 2012 playing with them. He played for the Arizona League Reds and Billings Mustangs in 2013, Billings in 2014 and Billings and Dayton Dragons in 2015. In 2016, he played for the Daytona Tortugas and was named the Florida State League Player of the Year. The Reds added him to their 40-man roster after the season.
Aquino was called up to the majors for the first time on August 17, 2018, to take the place of Joey Votto, who was placed on the 10-day disabled list. On August 19, 2018, Aquino made his major league debut as a pinch runner for Scooter Gennett. Aquino stayed in the game to play right field, and later struck out in his first major league at bat facing Ray Black. He was non-tendered and became a free agent on November 30, 2018. He re-signed a minor league deal on December 3, 2018.
He opened the 2019 season with the Louisville Bats. On August 1, the Reds selected Aquino's contract. Aquino hit seven home runs in his first ten major league games, tying the record of Trevor Story. On August 10, 2019, in a game against the Chicago Cubs, Aquino hit three home runs, becoming the first rookie in MLB history to hit a home run in three consecutive innings, and the second rookie after Bobby Estalella to have a three home run game in his first ten career games.
On August 16, 2019, Aquino became the first player in modern MLB history with 10 home runs in his first 16 career games. The next day, he hit his eleventh home run in 17 games. He also holds the record for most home runs in a month for a National League rookie (14), in addition to tying the Reds franchise record for home runs in a month for any player.
- "No. 22 Cincinnati Reds prospect Aristides Aquino jkeeps slugging for Daytona Tortugas - MiLB.com News - The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". Retrieved November 19, 2016.
- Dean, Zach. "Daytona Tortugas' Aristides Aquino named 2016 FSL Player of the Year". Retrieved November 19, 2016.
- "Jesse Winker among 7 protected from Rule 5 draft". Retrieved November 19, 2016.
- "Cincinnati Reds place 1B Joey Votto on the 10-day disabled list with a leg injury".
- "Reds' Aristides Aquino: Heading to majors". www.cbssports.com. CBS Interactive. August 17, 2018. Retrieved August 22, 2018.
- "Balanced Reds sweep Giants with 11-4 romp". www.foxsports.com. Fox Sports Interactive Media, LLC. August 19, 2018. Retrieved August 22, 2018.
- RotoWire Staff (August 1, 2019). "Reds' Aristides Aquino: Gets big-league call". CBS Sports. Retrieved August 1, 2019.
- Mark Sheldon (August 11, 2019). "Aquino hits 3 HRs, has 7 in 10 career games". MLB.com. Retrieved August 11, 2019.
- Jablonski, David. "Aristides Aquino home run tracker: Rookie sets National League record". daytondailynews. Retrieved 2020-03-23.