|Asahi Kasei kabushiki gaisha|
TOPIX Large 70 Component
TOPIX 100 Component
Nikkei 225 Component
|Founded||May 21, 1931|
|Headquarters||Hibiya Mitsui Tower, 1-1-2Yurakucho, Chiyoda, Tokyo 100-0006 Japan|
|Revenue||$ 18.5 billion (FY 2014) (¥ 1,897 billion) (FY 2014)|
|$ 989.7 million (FY 2014) (¥ 101.29 billion) (FY 2014)|
Number of employees
|34,670 (consolidated, as of March 31, 2018)|
|Footnotes / references|
It was founded in May 1931, using the paid in capital of Nobeoka Ammonia Fiber Co., Ltd, a Nobeoka, Miyazaki based producer of ammonia, nitric acid, and other chemicals. Now headquartered in Tokyo, with offices and plants across Japan, as well as China, Singapore, Thailand, U.S.A. and Germany.
The company Asahi Kasei began in the year 1931 with the production of chemicals that included ammonia and nitric acids. In 1949, exchanges between stocks started up between Tokyo, Osaka, and Nagoya. Asahi Kasei entered into a joint petrochemical venture with Dow Chemical. A production of Polystyrene and Saran Wrap began in 1952. Diversification into acrylonitrile, construction materials, petrochemicals, glass fabrics, ethylene, housing, medical devices, electronics, engineered resins, semiconductors, pharmaceuticals and liquors began in the 1960s and 1990s. Net sales exceeded $10 billion globally in the years 2000–2003. Finally, in the years 2008–2009, there was further diversification into medical devices. In 2018, Asahi Kasei acquired Sage Automotive Interiors.
The company makes about 18 billion dollars globally in annual net sales. Their core operating segments include:
- Chemicals (43.4%)
- Homes (27.2%)
- Healthcare (7.95%)
- Fibers (7%)
- Electronics (10%)
- Construction materials (3.3%)
- Services, engineering, and others (1.2%)
They currently employ 25,000 people and have a total of 54 manufacturing facilities found in different areas all over the world. Some of these places include North America, Europe, South Asia, East Asia, and Japan.
Their operations in North America are located in Illinois, Michigan, New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, and Mexico. In Europe it has sites in Brussels and Milan. The sites in Japan are located in Tokyo, Kawasaki, Nobeoka, and Mizushima. The sites in South and East Asia operate in Suzhou, Shanghai, Thailand, and Singapore.
Business segments and products
The main operations of the company are divided into the following four business sectors:
- Chemicals & fibers
- Polymer products
- Specialty chemicals
- Homes & construction materials
- Foundation systems
- Insulation materials
- AAC-related products
- Structural materials
- Order-built homes
- Real estate–related operations
- Building remodeling
- Health care
- Blood transfusion devices
- Blood purification devices
- Bioprocess products: leukocyte reduction filters, virus removal filters
- Orthopedics and urology pharmaceuticals
- Critical care devices: defibrillators, wearable defibrillators, automated CPR systems, temperature management systems, data solutions[buzzword]
- Diagnostic reagents
- Nutritional products
- "Corporate Profile". Retrieved August 6, 2014.
- "Asahi Kasei Financial Statements". Bloomberg Businessweek. Archived from the original on August 11, 2014. Retrieved August 6, 2014.
- "TOPIX Large70 Components" (PDF). Japan Exchange Group. Archived from the original (PDF) on October 13, 2013. Retrieved August 6, 2014.
- "Components:Nikkei Stock Average". Nikkei Inc. Retrieved August 6, 2014.
- "Asahi Kasei to acquire Sage Automotive Interiors | Press Releases | Asahi Kasei". Asahi Kasei Corporation. Retrieved 2019-06-07.
- "Asahi Kasei products". Retrieved August 6, 2014.
- Asahi Kasei Corporation Website (in English)
- "Company history books (Shashi)". Shashi Interest Group. April 2016. Wiki collection of bibliographic works on Asahi Kasei