Ashbury Railway Carriage and Iron Company Ltd
This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Ashbury Carriage and Iron Company Limited was a manufacturer of railway rolling stock founded by John Ashbury in 1837 in Commercial St, Knott Mill in Manchester, England, near the original terminus of the Sheffield, Ashton-under-Lyne and Manchester Railway. It moved to Ashton Old Rd, Openshaw in 1841 and became a limited company in 1862 as The Ashbury Railway Carriage and Iron Company Ltd. In 1898 the works covered about 20 acres (8.1 ha) and employed about 1,700.
In 1902 the business was transferred to Saltley in Birmingham when it merged with Ashbury, Brown and Marshalls. This was absorbed into the Metropolitan Amalgamated Railway Carriage and Wagon Company Ltd, which later became the Metropolitan-Cammell Carriage and Wagon Co Ltd.
Examples of its rolling stock survive to this day on preserved railways all over the world. The company name was revived in 2004  by a group in North Wales to recreate some of the carriages that it built.
- "The Ashbury Railway Carriage and Iron Company Limited, Manchester". Railway Magazine pages 78-84. January 1898. Retrieved 16 May 2017.
- https://www.opencompany.co.uk/company/05254367/ashbury-railway-carriage-iron-company-limited[permanent dead link]
- Details of a revived incarnation
- Bluebell Ashbury Supporters and Helpers - Restoration project for three Victorian Ashbury-built carriages, now completed
- The Ashbury Composite Cars Johnson, Geoff Australian Railway Historical Society Bulletin, February, 1971 pp36–38