Australian Railway Historical Society Museum
H220 in October 2006
|Established||10 November 1962|
|Location||26 Champion Road, Newport, Victoria|
The Australian Railway Historical Society Museum is located on Champion Road, Newport, Victoria, near the North Williamstown station. It is operated by the Victorian Division of the Australian Railway Historical Society.
The museum opened on 10 November 1962, after the Australian Railway Historical Society was allocated space at Newport Workshops by the Victorian Railways to develop a collection of steam locomotives that were then in the process of being replaced by diesel and electric locomotives.
Following a safety audit by landlord VicTrack, the museum closed in February 2010. After various improvements, it reopened in March 2014. The museum is open on Saturdays between 12 noon and 5 pm. During school holiday periods, the museum opens on both Saturdays and Sundays between 12 noon and 5 pm.
Today, the museum contains the largest existing collection of Victorian Railways steam locomotives, a wide range of other Victorian Railways rolling stock, and numerous Victorian Railways artefacts. The collection includes:
- seventeen steam locomotives
- eight diesel locomotives
- two electric locomotives and four electric suburban carriages
- five country/interstate passenger carriages
- ten freight wagons and two guards vans
- five railway cranes
- rail tractors and postal trolleys
- a signal box
- an O scale model railway
- "Museum - About Us". Australian Railways Historical Society - Victorian Division. Retrieved 2014-09-28.
- "Museum Closure". Australian Railway Historical Society Victorian Division. Australian Railway Historical Society. 2010. Archived from the original on 19 September 2010. Retrieved 10 May 2014.
- "Australian Railway Historical Society Museum". Only Melbourne. Retrieved 2014-09-28.
- "Museum". ARHS. Retrieved 2017-04-04.
- "Visiting The Museum". Australian Railway Historical Society. Retrieved 2015-07-15.
Media related to ARHS Railway Museum, North Williamstown at Wikimedia Commons