The BÉPO layout is an optimized French keyboard layout developed by the BÉPO community, supporting all Latin-based alphabets of the European Union, Greek and Esperanto. It is also designed to ease programming. It is based on ideas from the Dvorak and other ergonomic layouts. Typing with it is usually easier due to the high frequency keys being in the home row. Typing tutors exist to ease the transition.
In 2017, the BÉPO layout was the object of an ongoing standardization by the French organization for standardization (AFNOR), along with an improved version of the traditional AZERTY layout. However, the use of the BÉPO layout remained marginal.
On April 2, 2019, the norm had been published by AFNOR along with the improved azerty keyboard.
- Disposition de clavier francophone et ergonomique bépo [The French-speaking ergonomic keyboard layout BÉPO] (wiki) (in French)
- Caractères supportés [Characters and languages supported by the Bépo layout] (wiki) (in French)
- "Apprentissage – Disposition de clavier francophone et ergonomique bépo" [Learning − bépo, French and ergonomic keyboard layout]. bepo.fr. Retrieved 2019-02-20.
- Clavier français: la future norme en 10 questions-réponses [French keyboard: 10 answers about the future standard] (in French)
- Enquête Publique – Norme volontaire: Interfaces utilisateurs – Dispositions de clavier bureautique français PR NF Z71-300 [Public Consultation – Proposed standard: User interfaces – French office keyboard layouts PR NF Z71-300] (in French)
- Clavier français : une norme volontaire pour faciliter la saisie de tous les caractères [French keyboard: a voluntary norm to ease typewriting of all characters] (in French), 2019-04-02, retrieved 2019-10-29