Banat University of Agricultural Sciences and Veterinary Medicine
Universitatea de Științe Agricole și Medicină Veterinară a Banatului „Regele Mihai I al României” din Timișoara
|Agronomic Institute of Timișoara (1948–1991)|
|Established||1 August 1945|
|Rector||Cosmin Alin Popescu|
Banat University of Agricultural Sciences and Veterinary Medicine of Timișoara (Romanian: Universitatea de Științe Agricole și Medicină Veterinară a Banatului (USAMVBT)) is a university in Timișoara, Romania which specializes in life sciences and veterinary medicine. It was named in honor of King Michael I of Romania.
The Timișoara Faculty of Agronomy was established at the Politehnica School of Timișoara by Royal Decree in 1945. In 1948, the faculty became independent and organized as the Agronomic Institute of Timișoara. Besides the Faculty of Agronomy, within the institute there were also a Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, and a Faculty of Animal Sciences.
In 1991, the name of the institution was changed into the Banat University of Agricultural Sciences of Timișoara. Operating nowadays with 6 faculties, the university is involved in many European Union research projects like Biofector and leads the German-Romanian agriculture project in Voiteg.
- Horticulture and Forestry
- Farm Management
- Veterinary Medicine
- Food Processing Technology
- Animal Husbandry and Biotechnologies
Notable alumni, professors and supporters
- Hans-Ulrich Hege (* 1928), German plant breeder and machine builder, Dr. h. c. of USAB-TM
- Gerhard Weiser (1931–2003), German politician of the CDU and Minister of Agriculture of Baden-Württemberg, Dr. h. c. der USAB-TM
- Karl Fritz Lauer (1938–2018), German agricultural scientist in phytopathology and herbology, honorary professor and Dr. h. c. of USAB-TM
- Erwin Teufel (* 1939), German politician of the CDU and Minister President of Baden-Württemberg, Dr. h. c. of USAB-TM
- Manfred G. Raupp (* 1941), German agricultural scientist, Member steering committee of the Biofector Project and professor of international management
- Alexandru Moisuc (* 1942), Rektor Emeritus of the USAB-TM (2004-2012)
- Păun Otiman ( 1942), Romanian agricultural and economical scientist, University Professor and member of the Romanian Academy, Romanian senator and Rector Emeritus of the USAB-TM (1990-2004).
- Hans-Peter Liebig (* 1945), German agricultural scientist and Rector Emeritus of the University Hohenheim
- Margareta of Romania (* 1949), eldest daughter of King Michael I and Queen Anne of Romania, Dr. h.c. 2015 of the USAB-TM
- Paul Pîrșan (* 1956), Rector Emeritus of the USAB-TM (2012-2016)
- Peter Hauk (* 1960), German Minister of agriculture in Baden-Württemberg
- Ruediger Heining (* 1968), agricultural scientist, economist and member of the supervisory body of the German-Romanian Centre Voiteg
- Teodor Ioan Trașcă (* 1973), University Professor, PhD coordinator in Food Engineering, Dean of the Faculty of Food Technology (2008-2012) and Vice Rector of USAB-TM (2012-2016)
- Ciprian George Fora (* 1978), Romanian scientist, professor for crop protection and director of the agricultural school Voiteg
|This Romanian university, college or other education institution article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|