Baranagore Ramakrishna Mission Ashrama High School
|Baranagore Ramakrishna Mission Ashrama High School|
37, Gopal Lal Tagore Road, Baranagar
|Former name||Brahmananda Balakashrama|
|Type||Private (Higher secondary)|
|Motto||Atmano mokshartham jagat hitaya cha|
(For one’s own salvation and for the welfare of the world)
|Established||20 April 1912|
|Sister school||Ramakrishna Mission Centenary Primary School, Baranagore|
|School district||North 24 Parganas|
|Authority||Ramakrishna Mission Ashrama, Baranagore|
|Session||January–December (V – X)|
June–May (XI – XII)
|Director||Swami Shibapradananda (Secretary)|
|Head teacher||Swami Shashishekharananda (Assistant head teacher)|
|Age range||10+ to 18+|
|Medium of language||Bengali, English|
|Schedule||Monday - Friday:|
10:40 am – 3:50pm (V – VI)
10:40 am - 4:30pm (VII – X)
10:40am – 1:55pm
|Hours in school day||Monday - Friday:|
|Campus size||3 acres (121,359 m²)|
|Student Union/Association||BRKMAHS Ex-students Reunion Celebration Committee|
|Colour(s)||White and Grey(V - X) |
Blue and Grey (XI - XII)
|Song||Om Sahana Bhabatu|
Jana Gana Mana
Baranagore Ramakrishna Mission Ashrama High School (BRKMAHS; // (listen),[a] Bengali: [brkmaɦs] (listen)[b]) is a senior secondary boys' school in the district North 24 Parganas of West Bengal, India. The school was founded in 1912, and is located at the northern outskirt of Kolkata, on the banks of the river Ganges (Hoogly). The school is run by the Baranagar Ramakrishna Mission Ashrama Authority under the guidance of Ramakrishna Mission at Belur Math (taken over in 1924). Based on its performance of the students in the Xth standard board examination, the school is considered as one of the very best schools in West Bengal.
- The wavy waters in the picture are symbolic of Karma; the lotus, of Bhakti; and the rising-sun, of Jnana. The encircling serpent is indicative of Yoga and the awakened Kundalini Shakti, while the swan in the picture stands for Paramatman (Supreme Self). Therefore, the idea of the picture is that by the union of Karma, Jnana, Bhakti and Yoga, the vision of Paramatman is obtained.
The “Brahmananda Ramakrishna Mission” of twentieth century is today’s “Baranagar Ramakrishna Mission Ashrama”.Then the twentieth century was in its childhood – the great hero and saint Vivekananda had elevated himself like a phoenix from the ashes – his divine preaching had enchanted the young mind. India was then under the British bondage. The British Government had already issued the order, of partition of Bengal in accordance with the divide and Rule policy of The Lord Curzon. The air was being rented with the melodies of Rabindranath “Banglar Mati Banglar Jal” Bengal became turbulent and agitated like “Nataraj” with the waves of anti-partition movement and this turbulence had given birth to a number of brave dreamers who were inspired by the paradigm of Swami Vivekananda. Sri Yogindnanata Tagore, a disciple of Swami Brahmananda (Rakhal Maharaj) – a brave soldier of the anti-British movement and an active member of Anushilan Samiti, set up an orphanage in the name of his preceptor at the house of Panjas at Alambazar in North Kolkata. In 1912 on the pious day of Akshaya Tritiya the organisation started its journey with the name “Brahmananda Balakashrama”.
Baranagore Ramakrishna Mission Ashrama High School has become an embodiment of the ideology ‘service and welfare through education’, since its initiation in 1912, on the auspicious day of Akshaya Tritiya. Since then, through selflessness and service to the mankind, this organization so successfully caters the spiritual genre, convened by Lord Sri Ramakrishna, in every possible way.
The foundation stone of this ashrama, as a "Brahmananda Balakashrama", was laid by Sri Yogindranath Tagore, an eminent freedom-fighter and disciple of Srimat Swami Brahmanandaji Maharaj, the first president of Ramakrishna Order. Later it was shifted into a one storied building adjacent to Jaikrishna Mitra Kalibari at Kutighat in the name of, “Baranagar Ramakrishna Ashrama for Orphan”. Then, in 1924 the Ashrama was acquired by Belur Math as a branch centre and hence, renamed as “Ramakrishna Mission Ashrama , Baranagore”. On February 20, 1928, by the patronage of the late zaminders of Narali, Jessore, the Ashrama procured a land of 8 bigha and 8 chhatak beside Gopal Lal Tagore Road. It was the same Akshaya Tritiya on 11 May, 1929 the Ashrama was shifted to the plot.
The primary school, set up in the Ashrama premises in 1934, was sequentially upgraded to upper primary and then to lower secondary section in the year 1952. The multifaceted upper secondary wing of the institution was inaugurated in 1954 and it, henceforth got the recognition of ‘Madhyamik’ (Secondary).
11th May, 1998, on the auspicious Buddha Purnima, a parallel primary wing of the institution (from Class I to Class IV) was incepted under the jurisdiction of Ramakrishna Mission, Belur Math. This new segment was named "Ramakrishna Mission Centenary Primary School, Baranagore" and was inaugurated by Revered Srimat Swami Lokeswaranandaji on the occasion of ‘Centenary Celebration’.
After a prolonged yet rigorous effort of 42 years, this institution has been elevated to the Higher Secondary level in 2018 and education is being imparted through Bengali and English medium in this section.
Ashrama has a large campus. It contains a primary school section, secondary and higher secondary school section, libraries, three free coaching centres, a charitable homeopathic dispensary, a mobile medical unit, prayer hall, a temple, monk quarters and playgrounds.
There are two secondary section buildings in school campus, one for classes (V – VI) and other for classes (VII – X). There are five sections in each of the classes from V-VIII and in IX and X there are four sections each.
Higher secondary section
There is one higher secondary section building in school campus for classes XI and XII. The building is named "Nivedita Bhawan" which was inaugurated by Swami Suhitananda ji maharaj on 14 May 2018.
Secondary section (V – X) is affiliated by West Bengal Board of Secondary Education and higher secondary section (XI – XII) is affiliated by West Bengal Council of Higher Secondary Education.
BRKMAHS arranged an intensive cleaning programme Swachh Bharat mission in the neighbouring locality on June 30, 2016 in accordance with the instruction given by the headquarters Belur Math. More than 600 students of standards VIII, IX and X actively participated in the programme under the guidance of monastic members and brahmacharies of the Ashrama and almost all the teaching and non-teaching staff of the High School.
Besides these, this institution is connected with many cultural and social activities throughout whole year.
Baranagore Ramakrishna Mission Ashrama High School Ex-students Reunion Celebration Committee is the name of alumi association committee of BRKMAHS. This committee every year celebrates reunion ceremony for ex-students of school. They are connected with many social activities throughout the year.
Baranagore Ramakrishna Mission Ashrama Praktan Chhatra Samsad under the guidance of Ramakrishna Mission Ashrama, Baranagore, organised a “Voluntary Blood Donation Camp” on 15 September, 2019, in association with blood bank of Ramakrishna Mission Seva Pratishthan, Kolkata, as a part of the concluding – 125th Anniversary of Swami Vivekananda’s Chicago Addresses at Sarada Bhawan. Total 51 units of blood were donated by ex-students of the ashrama high school, teachers, monastic members of different branch centres of the Ramakrishna Mission, Ashrama staff, volunteers and devotees. Baranagore Ramakrishna Mission Ashrama Praktan Chhatra Samsad Charitable Trust felicitated all the doctors who have been dedicatedly serving the poor & distressed patients throughout the year in the ashrama’s medical unit & also in medical camps at various remote places.
- Abhishek Chatterjee, Bengali film and television actor.
- Jeet Ganguly, score composer, music director and playback singer for Hindi and Bengali films.
- Shiboprosad Mukherjee, film director, writer and actor who works for Bengali films.
- Tathagata Mukherjee, Bengali film and television actor.
- "RAMAKRISHNA MISSION CENTENARY PRIMARY SCHOOL, BARANAGAR". Retrieved 2 May 2018.
- "Affiliated Schools of West Bengal Board of secondary Education".
- "Baranagore Ramakrishna Mission Ashrama High School (H. S.)". rkmahsb.blogspot.com. 14 November 2018. Retrieved 5 November 2019.
- "List of West Bengal Council of Higher Secondary Education affiliated schools". Retrieved 5 November 2019.
- "Ramakrishna Mission Ashrama, Baranagar, Kolkata". Retrieved 13 June 2018.
- "Ramakrishna Mission Ashrama, Baranagore". Retrieved 21 October 2019.
- "Inauguration Of Nivedita Bhavan, Baranagar RKM". Retrieved 22 July 2018.
- Jones, Daniel (2003) , Peter Roach; James Hartmann; Jane Setter (eds.), English Pronouncing Dictionary, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, ISBN 3-12-539683-2
- "Ramakrishna Mission and Ramakrishna Math Branch Centres".
- "Ramakrishna Math and Mission Branches In India".
- Vivekananda, Swami. "Conversations And Dialogues ~ XVI". The Complete Works of Swami Vivekananda. 7. Advaita Ashrama.
- "Inauguration of Higher Secondary Course in BRKM". Retrieved 22 June 2018.
- "Swachha Bharat Abhiyan, Baranagar". Retrieved 31 July 2018.
- "BRKMAHS Ex-students Reunion Celebration Committee".
- "Blood Donation Camp: Baranagar Mission". belurmath.org. 22 September 2019. Retrieved 19 October 2019.
- "On Gomolo". Archived from the original on 18 April 2016. Retrieved 6 October 2018.
- "Jeet Ganguly Biography". Retrieved 21 May 2017.
- "Shiboprosad Mukherjee Biography". Retrieved 3 April 2016.
- "Tathagata Mukherjee Biography".