Barrow-in-Furness Tramways Company
Tram tracks on Michaelson Road Bridge
|Open||11 July 1885|
|Close||5 April 1932|
|Track gauge||4 ft (1,219 mm)|
|Propulsion system(s)||Steam then Electric|
|Route length||6.39 miles (10.28 km)|
The Barrow-in-Furness Tramways Company was owned by Barrow-in-Furness Corporation. It started steam operated tramway services on 11 July 1885, with eight steam locomotives from Kitson and Company and eight trailers from the Falcon Works.
On 23 December 1899 it was taken over by British Electric Traction who proceeded to modernise and electrify the system. The first electric service ran on 6 February 1904.
Barrow-in-Furness Corporation took over operation of the service on 1 January 1920 at a cost of £96,250 (equivalent to £3,486,650 in 2015). The last service ran on 5 April 1932.
- The Golden Age of Tramways. Published by Taylor and Francis.
- UK Consumer Price Index inflation figures are based on data from Gregory Clark (2016), "The Annual RPI and Average Earnings for Britain, 1209 to Present (New Series)", MeasuringWorth.com.
|This UK Tram-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|