Being with You (song)
|"Being with You"|
|Single by Smokey Robinson|
|from the album Being with You|
|B-side||"What's in Your Life for Me"|
|Released||March 9, 1981|
|Recorded||January 1981 |
Studio Sound Recorders
(North Hollywood, California, United States)
|Producer(s)||George Tobin, Mike Piccirillo|
|Smokey Robinson singles chronology|
"Being with You" is a 1981 song recorded by American singer Smokey Robinson and is the title track from his Gold-certified album with the same name. The song spent five weeks at No. 1 on the Hot Soul Singles chart from March to early May 1981 and reached number two on the Billboard Hot 100, behind "Bette Davis Eyes" by Kim Carnes, his highest charting solo hit on the Billboard pop charts.
Now let me tell you about a coincidental relationship between Smokey at #2 and Kim Carnes who's at #1 again this week. Kim's last hit was "More Love", her remake of an old Smokey Robinson hit. Well, Smokey liked Kim's version so much that he wrote her another song, but when Smokey's producer heard the demo, he told Smokey, "You oughta record it yourself!", and that's the song we just heard in the #2 position. And how ironic it is that Smokey's recording of the song he'd written for Kim Carnes has been kept out of the #1 spot by a Kim Carnes hit for 3 weeks running. - Casey Kasem, American Top 40
Very soon after Robinson's English single was released, Motown's subsidiary label Tamla released a Spanish version of the song under the title of "Aqui Con Tigo" (Tamla T 54325F), backed with a bilingual English/Spanish version.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). Top R&B/Hip-Hop Singles: 1942-2004. Record Research. p. 497.
- Casey Kasem's American Top 40 from June 6th, 1981
- "Cash Box Top 100 Singles, May 23, 1981". Archived from the original on June 3, 2015. Retrieved March 11, 2017.
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. pp. 394–5. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- Rice, Jo (1982). The Guinness Book of 500 Number One Hits (1st ed.). Enfield, Middlesex: Guinness Superlatives Ltd. pp. 214–5. ISBN 0-85112-250-7.
- "ARIA Charts - End Of Year Charts - Top 50 Singles 1988". Aria.com.au. Archived from the original on 2014-02-04. Retrieved 2016-10-17.
- "Ultratop.be – Smokey Robinson – Being With You" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50. Retrieved November 29, 2020.
- "Item Display - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. Archived from the original on 2016-03-14. Retrieved 2016-10-17.
- "Song artist 452 - Smokey Robinson". Tsort.info. 2007-10-08. Retrieved 2016-10-17.
- "Adult Contemporary Music Chart". Billboard. 1981-05-23. Retrieved 2016-10-17.
- Whitburn, Joel (2005). Top R&B/Hip-Hop Singles: 1942-2004. Record Research.
- "Item Display - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. Archived from the original on 2016-04-10. Retrieved 2016-10-17.
- "Top Selling Singles of 1981 | The Official New Zealand Music Chart". Nztop40.co.nz. 1981-12-31. Retrieved 2016-10-17.
- "Chart File Top 100" (PDF). Record Mirror. London: Spotlight Publications. December 26, 1981. p. 27. Retrieved June 13, 2016.
- "Top 100 Hits of 1981/Top 100 Songs of 1981". Musicoutfitters.com. Retrieved 2016-10-17.
- "Billboard Hot 100 60th Anniversary Interactive Chart". Billboard. Retrieved 10 December 2018.