|surname Bhandari (or Bhandary). If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.This page lists people with the|
|Meaning||Store Keeper or Holder of Treasury (Rajput)|
|Region of origin||India, Nepal|
Bhandary or Bhandari is a surname found in various Khas communities in India and Nepal. 'Bhandary' in South India belong to the bunt community. Bhandari means keeper of the "Bhandar" or the treasury. Bhandaris were the protectors of the royal Treasuries across the kingdoms
In Nepal the Bhandaris belong to Khas people both Bahuns and Chhetris. Numbering around 255,500, spread across the hills and khas dominated regions of terai. with most Incidents in Kathmandu(18,391), Dang(12,796) Gulmi 11,660, Kaski (11,550), Rupandehi (10,293), Jhapa(9,968), Kailali(9,495), Morang(8,100) districts respectively.
Notable people bearing the name Bhandari or Bhandari include:
- Anup Bhandari, Indian writer, director, music director, lyricist, playback singer and actor
- Bidhya Devi Bhandari, Nepalese politician, President of Nepal
- Binod Bhandari (born 1990), Nepalese cricketer
- Damodar Bhandari, member of 2nd Nepalese Constituent Assembly
- Dinesh Chandra Bhandary, Group Captain in the Indian Air Force, the Vir Chakra awardee
- Gagan Singh Bhandari, Nepalese politician and General
- H. Gopal Bhandary (born 1950), MLA in Karnataka
- Madan Bhandari, Nepalese politician and communist leader
- Rajendra Bhandari (born 1956), Nepalese poet
- Rajendra Bahadur Bhandari; Nepalese athlete
- Sabitra Bhandari, Nepalese national footballer
- Tika Bhandari, Nepalese singer
Fictional people bearing the name Bhandari include:
- Sav Bhandari and Alli Bhandari, two main characters and siblings on the Canadian teen drama Degrassi (2001–15).
- "Bhandari Family History". Oxford University Press. Dictionary of American Family Names ©2013, Oxford University Press.