|• Total||261.90 km2 (101.12 sq mi)|
|• Density||970/km2 (2,500/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+6 (BST)|
Bhedarganj (Bengali: ভেদরগঞ্জ) is an upazila of Shariatpur District in the Division of Dhaka, Bangladesh. Bhedarganj Thana was converted into an upazila in 1983. It is named after its administrative center, the town of Bhedarganj.
Bhedarganj Upazila has a total area of 261.90 square kilometres (101.12 sq mi). About seven-tenths is land and three-tenths is water, chiefly the Padma River, which cuts through the northern part of the upazila. It borders Naria Upazila to the west and north, Munshiganj District to the north, Chandpur District to the north and east, Gosairhat and Damudya upazilas to the south, and Shariatpur Sadar Upazila to the west.
Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics
According to the 2011 Bangladesh census, Bhedarganj Upazila had 53,305 households and a population of 253,234, 3.6% of whom lived in urban areas. 12.0% of the population was under the age of 5. The literacy rate (age 7 and over) was 42.7%, compared to the national average of 51.8%.
Bhedarganj Upazila is divided into Bhedarganj Municipality and 13 union parishads: Arshi Nagar, Char Bhaga, Char Census, Char Kumaria, Chhaygaon, Dhakhin Tarabunia, Digar Mahishkhali, Kachikata, Mahisar, Naryanpur, Rambhadrapur, Sakhipur, and Tarabunia. The union parishads are subdivided into 87 mauzas and 372 villages.
Chairman : Anawar Hossain
Vice Chairman : Masum Bala
Woman Vice Chairman : Lipi sorder
Upazila Nirbahi Officer (UNO) :
There are four colleges & a university in the upazila. They include Hazi Shariat Ullah College and M. A Reza Degree College. The only university name is Z.H. Sikder University of Science and Technology.
The madrasa education system includes one fazil madrasa.
- "District Statistics 2011: Shariatpur" (PDF). Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics. Archived from the original (PDF) on August 12, 2014. Retrieved July 25, 2014.
- "Community Report: Shariatpur" (PDF). Population & Housing Census 2011. Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics. Retrieved 2017-06-18.
- Hossain, Billal (2012). "Bhedarganj Upazila". In Islam, Sirajul; Jamal, Ahmed A. (eds.). Banglapedia: National Encyclopedia of Bangladesh (Second ed.). Asiatic Society of Bangladesh.
- "Population and Housing Census 2011: Bangladesh at a Glance" (PDF). Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics. Archived from the original (PDF) on July 28, 2014. Retrieved July 21, 2014.
- "List of Institutions". Ministry of Education. Retrieved July 15, 2014.