Big Gay Ice Cream
|Founded||2009 in New York City, New York|
|Doug Quint, Bryan Petroff, Jon Chapski|
Big Gay Ice Cream (BGIC) is a New York City-based company that started with an ice cream truck and now operates 4 storefronts in the city and one in Philadelphia. Co-founded by Doug Quint and Bryan Petroff, BGIC specializes in soft serve ice cream cones, cups, and novelties with a menu of unique and unusual flavors and toppings. BGIC is part of a wider trend of gourmet and upscale food trucks popular in the United States.
The use of gay in the company name refers both to the sexual orientation of co-founders Doug Quint and Bryan Petroff, as well as its older, seldom-used definition, happy. According to Quint: "If I weren't gay, I wouldn't call it the Big Gay Ice Cream Truck. And if I weren't happy, I wouldn't have the Big Gay Ice Cream Truck. It would just be the big crabby ice cream truck."
They were not seeking to be hyper-political with the name; they want their customers to interpret it however they want.
Doug Quint was a freelance classical bassoonist, looking for a secondary occupation in the summer off-season. A flautist friend had been operating an ice cream truck of her own and suggested that Quint do the same. On June 13, 2009, the Big Gay Ice Cream Truck began operations at Brooklyn Pride in Prospect Park, Brooklyn. The ice cream truck itself has been dormant since 2011, with only occasional appearances for major events.
After two years of operating a roving truck, they opened their first store – the Big Gay Ice Cream Shop, in New York's East Village. Approximately a year later, they opened a second location in the West Village. A pop-up store opened in the Ace Hotel in Los Angeles in late 2014. A Philadelphia location opened in 2015 at the corner of South and South Broad Streets.
In 2017, Big Gay Ice Cream started selling packaged pints of "hard" ice cream in convenience stores and grocery stores.
- List of food trucks
- Genevieve Belleveau, performance artist and operations manager of the Big Gay Ice Cream truck
- BIG GAY ICE CREAM CHIEF DOUG QUINT GIVES THE SCOOP TO CNN MONEY: VIDEO
- "Start-Up Trends: Food Trucks". Inc.com. Retrieved 15 March 2016.
- "Interview: Doug Quint of the Big Gay Ice Cream Truck". Menuism Dining Blog. Retrieved 15 March 2016.
- "New Yorkers Get Taste Of Big Gay Ice Cream Truck". NPR.org. 8 August 2009. Retrieved 15 March 2016.
- "Andrew Zimmern on 3 Sweet Ice Cream Shops: BGICT, Features, New York - Travel destinations, blogs, contests and offers from Delta Sky Magazine + deltaskymag.com". Retrieved 15 March 2016.
- "Now Open: The Big Gay Ice Cream Truck – Eat Me Daily". Retrieved 17 December 2019.
- Jen Harris, "Big Gay Ice Cream Upstairs now open at Upstairs Bar at Ace Hotel downtown", Los Angeles Times, November 11, 2014.
- "Big Gay Ice Cream opens Philly shop", The Philadelphia Inquirer, May 1, 2015.
- Jenny Rosenstrach, "Cooking", The New York Times, May 31, 2015.
- Brian Anthony Hernandez, BusinessNewsDaily Staff Writer. "Q&A: The Big Gay Ice Cream Truck's Crazy Twitter Ride". Business News Daily. Archived from the original on 11 September 2011. Retrieved 15 March 2016.
- Official website