Location of Bilecik Province in Turkey
|• Electoral district||Bilecik|
|• Total||4,307 km2 (1,663 sq mi)|
|• Density||52/km2 (130/sq mi)|
Bilecik Province (Turkish: Bilecik ili) is a province in midwest Turkey, neighboring Bursa to the west, Kocaeli and Sakarya to the north, Bolu to the east, Eskişehir to the southeast and Kütahya to the south, spanning an area of 4,307 km2. The population is 225,381. Most of the province laid down in Marmara Region but eastern parts of Gölpazarı and Söğüt district and districts of İnhisar and Yenipazar remained in Black Sea Region, smaller southeastern parts of Bozüyük and Söğüt remained in Central Anatolia Region and smaller southwestern part of Bozüyük remained in Aegean Region.
Bilecik province is divided into 8 districts (capital district in bold):
The region was inhabited as early as 3000 BC, and was part of the territory controlled by such notable civilizations as the Hittites (1400–1200 BC), the Phrygians (1200–676 BC), Lydians (595–546 BC), Persians (546–334 BC), Romans (74–395 AD) and Byzantians (395 AD to late 13th century, with two brief occupations by Ummayads in between).
Sites of interest
In Söğüt a site of interest is the Ethnographical Museum.
Some other sites of interest in the province are: Osman Gazi and Orhan Gazi mosques, Seyh Edebali and Mal Hatun mausoleums, Köprülü Mehmet Pasha mosque, Köprülü Caravanserai, Kaplikaya tombs, Rüstem Pasha mosque, and Gülalan Pavilion.
A view from Çengeller village in Gölpazarı
Çelebi Mehmet Mosque in Söğüt
The türbe of Dursun Fakih in Söğüt
- "Population of provinces by years - 2000-2018". Turkish Statistical Institute. Retrieved 9 March 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bilecik Province.|
- (in Turkish) Bilecik governor's official website
- (in Turkish) Bilecik municipality's official website
- Bilecik weather forecast information
- (in Turkish) Yerel Yöneylem Kalkınma Derneği - Gölpazarı
- (in Turkish) Bayırköy's local website
- (in Turkish) Virtual platform of Bilecik
- (in Turkish) www.bilecikhayat.com/ Bilecik hayat platform]