Series title card featuring protagonist Sharon Spitz
|Created by||Melissa Clark|
|Theme music composer||Grayson Matthews Inc.|
|Country of origin||Canada|
|No. of seasons||3|
|No. of episodes||78 (list of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Alicia Silverstone|
|Running time||22 minutes|
Fox Family Channel
|Original release||June 2, 2001 –|
September 1, 2004
Braceface is a Canadian-American-Chinese animated television series that aired on Teletoon in Canada from June 2, 2001 to September 1, 2004, and Fox Family Channel in the United States. The series was produced by Nelvana and Jade Animation, with actress Alicia Silverstone of Clueless fame (who also voiced the titluar character for the first two seasons) serving as executive producer.
The series, set in Elkford, British Columbia, recounts the travails of Sharon Spitz, who is a junior high school student with braces that get in the way of leading a normal teenage life. Her braces are somehow electrically charged at all times, giving her strange abilities such as remotely operating machinery, tapping into wireless communication channels, and even discharging electricity directly into what's in front of her, though much of these abilities are often outside her control. In the first season, she is enrolled at Mary Pickford Junior High but later the show progresses into Sharon going into high school
- Alicia Silverstone (seasons 1 & 2) and Stacey DePass (season 3) as Sharon Spitz
- Dan Petronijevic as Adam Spitz
- Michael Cera as Josh Spitz
- Tamara Bernier Evans as Helen Spitz
- Marnie McPhail as Maria Wong
- Peter Oldring as Conner Mackenzie
- Vince Corazza as Alden Jones
- Katie Griffin as Nina Harper
- Daniel DeSanto as Brock Leighton
- Emily Hampshire as Alyson Malitski
- Elisa Moolecherry as Hannah Corbett
|First aired||Last aired|
|1||26||June 2, 2001||March 2, 2002|
|2||26||September 8, 2002||June 22, 2003|
|3||26||November 5, 2003||September 1, 2004|
The series originally aired on Teletoon in Canada and Fox Family Channel, with reruns on ABC Family, Toon Disney and Disney Channel in the United States. Internationally, the series aired on Fox Kids UK and Pop Girl in the United Kingdom. It also aired on Nickelodeon in Germany. In India the series aired on Star One. It aired in the Republic of Ireland on RTÉ Two from 3 September 2001 to 2005.
Some of these DVDs were released by FUNimation.
- Volume 1: Brace Yourself
- Volume 2: Getting Real
- Volume 3: Twist of Fate
- Turning 13
- Volume 4: Miss Popular
- Miss Popular, Brace Yourself, Getting Real, Twist of Fate (4 pack DVDs)
- "CANOE -- JAM! - Katie gets animated". web.archive.org. June 10, 2016.
- "The Vancouver Sun from Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada on June 29, 2001 · 85". Newspapers.com. 2001-06-29. Retrieved 2019-11-22.
- "Mediacaster Magazine - Broadband & Content - TELETOON's September Sizzles with New Series and a Finale". 16 October 2013. Archived from the original on 16 October 2013.
- Perlmutter, David (2018). The Encyclopedia of American Animated Television Shows. Rowman & Littlefield. p. 91. ISBN 978-1538103739.
- Erickson, Hal (2005). Television Cartoon Shows: An Illustrated Encyclopedia, 1949 Through 2003 (2nd ed.). McFarland & Co. p. 155. ISBN 978-1476665993.
- "STAR - Programme Guide". 24 November 2005. Archived from the original on 24 November 2005. Retrieved 6 July 2020.
- RTÉ Guide, 1–7 September 2001 edition and subsequent dates