Brookside, New Jersey
Brookside, New Jersey
|Elevation||130 m (427 ft)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||874966|
Brookside (once called Waterstreet) is an historic unincorporated community within Mendham Township in Morris County, New Jersey, United States. It is located approximately 6 mi (9.7 km) west of Morristown.
The settlement appeared on maps as early as 1777. A portion of the Patriot's Path, the trail George Washington and his troops marched on, runs through Brookside's woods along the Whippany River. Brookside was noted as a postal village in 1882. In 1883, the population was 187. The Brookside Post Office, which at one time was also a general store and gas station, is still the social hub of the village. Many residents stop there daily to collect their mail.
The yearly "Brookside 4th of July" Parade, sponsored by the Community Club, has been a communal event since 1922. It includes floats made by community groups and families, a lawnmower brigade, fire departments and ambulance squads from all over the region, farm animals, a pooch parade, and both rock and marching bands. It starts at 9 am from the intersection of Dogwood Drive and Tingley Road, then down East Main Street to the Community Club Field where food, games, and activities for people of all ages await.
The Annual Clam Bake, sponsored by the Brookside Engine Company #1, is also held at the Community Club Field on the first Saturday in September. Other events and programs are often offered by the Mendham Township Library, located on the 1st floor of the municipal building on West Main Street in Brookside. The library website and bulletin board in town hall usually contain a list of events and contact information to RSVP.
People who were born in, residents of, or otherwise closely associated with Brookside include:
- Peter Dinklage (born 1969), actor and film producer.
- Stewart G. Pollock (born 1933), Justice of the Supreme Court of New Jersey from 1979 to 1999.
- Morris Frank (born 1908), cofounder of The Seeing Eye.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Brookside
- DP-1: Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 from the 2010 Demographic Profile Data for ZCTA5 07926, United States Census Bureau. Accessed July 7, 2015.
- Look Up a ZIP Code for Brookside, NJ, United States Postal Service. Accessed February 14, 2013.
- Zip Codes, State of New Jersey. Accessed September 1, 2013.
- Area Code Lookup – NPA NXX for Brookside, NJ, Area-Codes.com. Accessed September 1, 2013.
- Locality Search, State of New Jersey. Accessed June 9, 2016.
- Google (January 25, 2015). "Brookside, Mendham, New Jersey" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved January 25, 2015.
- Industries of New Jersey. Historical Publishing Company. 1882. p. 74.
- Manual of the Legislature of New Jersey. J.A. Fitzgerald. 1883. p. 180.
- Staff. "Brookside actor steps over adversity to starring role", New Jersey Hills, April 24, 2003. Accessed February 28, 2017. "Ask Diane and John Dinklage of East Main Street in Brookside their definition of determination and they will tell you that their son, Peter Dinklage, personifies the word determination."
- Kocieniewski, David. "Judge Leaving High Court After 20 Years as Unifier", The New York Times, February 26, 1999. Accessed June 14, 2016. "Judge Pollock was born in East Orange and raised in Brookside, back when it had only 1,300 residents and a four-room schoolhouse. He still lives there, although the suburban boom of the last half-century has expanded Brookside and made it one of wealthiest communities in central New Jersey."