Buckle (clothing retailer)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Traded as||NYSE: BKE|
S&P 600 Component
Kearney, Nebraska, U.S.
Number of locations
|United States (international shipping available)|
|Daniel Hirschfeld (Chairman)|
Dennis Nelson (CEO)
|Products||Clothing, footwear, and accessories|
|Revenue||US$913.38 million (2017)|
|US$134.08 million (2017)|
|US$89.7 million (2017)|
|Total assets||US$538.12 million (2017)|
|Total equity||US$391.24 million (2017)|
Number of employees
The Buckle, Inc. is an American fashion retailer selling clothing, footwear, and accessories for men, women, and children. The company operates 451 stores in 42 states throughout the United States of America, under the names Buckle and The Buckle. Buckle markets brand name and private label apparel, including denim, other casual bottoms, tops and shirts, dresses and rompers, sportswear and athleisure, outerwear, footwear, swimwear, fragrances, sunglasses, bags and purses, wallets, and other accessories.
Buckle began as a men's clothing store established in 1948 in Kearney, Nebraska. The first store was founded by David Hirschfeld and operated under the name Mills Clothing. His son, Dan Hirschfeld, took over the business in 1965. In 1967, a second store was purchased and operated under the name Brass Buckle. The company began selling more casual men's clothing and by the early 1970s, Brass Buckle had developed into a denim-based store offering a wide selection of denim and shirts.
- 1970 – Current president and CEO, Dennis Nelson, joins the company.
- 1977 – The company introduces women's clothing and the first mall-based location is opened.
- 1988 – Distribution operations relocate to a new home, the Brass Buckle Center, in west Kearney.
- 1991 – Brass Buckle changes its name to The Buckle, Inc. and begins development of private clothing label, bkle, known today as BKE.
- 1992 – The company goes public on the NASDAQ, where it is traded as BKLE. The company reaches operations of 100 stores in 18 states.
- 1997 – The Buckle moves to the New York Stock Exchange, where it now trades under the symbol, BKE.
- 1998 – The Buckle reaches operations of 200 stores in 29 states.
- 1999 – The first eCommerce website is launched.
- 2009 – The Buckle reaches operation of 400 stores in 41 states.
- 2010 – The company completes construction of a new 240,000 square feet, state-of-the-art distribution center.
- 2011 – The company reaches a milestone of selling five million pairs of jeans in one year.
- 2017 – The Buckle operates over 450 stores in 44 states.
- Dan Hirschfeld leads the company as chairman of the board; he has been with the company since 1965.
- Dennis Nelson, president and chief executive officer, has been with the company since 1970.
- Karen Rhoads, senior vice president of finance and chief financial officer, has been with the company since 1987.
- Brett Milkie, senior vice president of leasing, has been with the company since 1992.
- Kari Smith, executive vice president of stores, has been with the company since 1978.
- Robert Carlberg, senior vice president of men's merchandising, has been with the company since 1983.
- Kyle Hanson, vice president, corporate secretary, and general counsel, has been with the company since 1998.
- Thomas Heacock, vice president of finance, treasurer, and corporate controller, has been with the company since 2003.
- Michelle Hoffman, vice president of sales, has been with the company since 1979.
- Kelli Molczyk, vice president of women's merchandising, has been with the company since 1999.
- Diane Applegate, vice president of supply chain and merchandising operations, has been with the company since 1983.
Buckle markets denim jeans, casual bottoms, fashion tops and shirts, dresses and rompers, active wear, outerwear, footwear, swimwear, fragrances, sunglasses, bags and purses, wallets, and other accessories. Buckle's own private label brands make up 35% of sales.
- "Income statements recent and historical for Buckle Inc (BKE)". Wikinvest. Retrieved 29 April 2015.
- Staff, Hub (May 23, 2015). "Buckle Inc". Kearney Hub. Retrieved 1 June 2015.
- "The Buckle Inc". New York Times. Retrieved 1 June 2015.
- "Our Story". Buckle Corporate. The Buckle Inc. Retrieved 29 April 2015.
- Business data for Buckle Inc: