Butler Public Schools
|Butler Public Schools|
|38 Bartholdi Avenue|
Butler, NJ 07405
|Business administrator||Barbara Murphy|
|Students and staff|
|Enrollment||987 (as of 2014-15)|
|District Factor Group||DE|
The district is classified by the New Jersey Department of Education as being in District Factor Group "DE", the fifth-highest of eight groups. District Factor Groups organize districts statewide to allow comparison by common socioeconomic characteristics of the local districts. From lowest socioeconomic status to highest, the categories are A, B, CD, DE, FG, GH, I and J.
Students from Butler attended high school in Paterson, New Jersey until Butler High School was opened in 1903. From the time the school opened, the school served students from much of Morris County, along with those from Bloomingdale, Ringwood, Wanaque and West Milford in Passaic County until they built their own schools or established alternate arrangements with other school districts. In September 1954, the Butler district notified its eight sending communities that growing enrollment of borough residents would mean that there would be no space available at Butler High School and that the local districts serving students from Passaic County communities and Pequannock Township would have to make alternate arrangements by 1958. While Pequannock, Ringwood and Wanaque met the 1958 deadline, West Milford left four years later and Jefferson Township, Kinnelon and Riverdale ended their sending relationship in 1964.
- Elementary school
- Middle school
- High school
The Academy for Law and Public Safety is a full-time, four-year high school program located at Butler High School. The Academy focuses on Law, Government and Public Affairs with concentrations in Law, Criminal Justice, Technology, Humanities and Law Enforcement. The Academy was founded in September 2000, as a collaborative effort of the Morris County Vocational School District, the Butler Public Schools and the Morris County Board of Chosen Freeholders.
- Daniel Johnson, Superintendent
- Barbara Murphy, Business Administrator / Board Secretary
- District information for Butler Public School District, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 7, 2016.
- Taxpayers' Guide to Education Spending April 2013, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed April 15, 2013.
- NJ Department of Education District Factor Groups (DFG) for School Districts, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed February 3, 2015.
- Fagan, Matt. "Butler High School's Hall of Honor accepting nominations", The Record (Bergen County), September 12, 2017. Accessed September 13, 2017. "However, between 1906 and early 1960s, Butler was the high school for vast portions of Morris County and northwestern Passaic County and even portions of Sussex County, Wall said.... At one time the high school served as the regional high school for Bloomingdale, Jefferson, Kinnelon, Pequannock, Ringwood, Riverdale, Wanaque and West Milford. Before 1903, when Butler High School first opened its doors, graduates of the Butler Grammar School attended Paterson High School, Butler school board officials said."
- Staff. "ENROLLMENTS TAX SCHOOLS IN BERGEN; Auxiliary Rooms Are Being Converted for Classes and Construction Is Pushed", The New York Times, September 5, 1954. Accessed September 13, 2017. "Butler, in near-by Morris County, is taking drastic action to relieve congestion in its high school... Four of these 'sending districts' -- Riverdale, Jefferson Township, Kinnelon and Pequannock Township -- are in Morris County. The others -- Wanaque, Ringwood, West Milford and Bloomingdale -- are in Passaic County. Butler has given Pequannock Township and the four districts in Passaic until 1958 to complete withdrawal of their students."
- History of BHS, Butler High School. Accessed September 13, 2017. "Until 1903, graduates of the Butler Grammar School attended Paterson High School. In 1903, the district’s supervising principal, Mr. Clarence J. Howell, oversaw the establishment of Butler High School.... Ringwood, Wanaque and Pequannock withdrew in 1958, following by West Milford in 1962, and Kinnelon, Riverdale and Jefferson in 1964."
- School Data for the Butler Public Schools, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 7, 2016.
- New Jersey School Directory for the Butler Public Schools, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed December 29, 2016.
- Aaron Decker School, Butler Public Schools. Accessed September 13, 2017.
- Leadership, Butler Public Schools, as of July 13, 2013. Accessed September 13, 2017.
- Richard Butler School, Butler Public Schools. Accessed September 13, 2017.
- Butler High School, Butler Public Schools. Accessed September 13, 2017.
- Butler Public School District 2016 Report Card Narrative, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed July 12, 2017. "The district also engages in several Shared Service agreements with the Bloomingdale school district, beyond the send-receive high school experience, including sharing of school Library oversight, Special Education and sharing the services of the Student Assistance Counselor."
- Academy for Law & Public Safety Archived 2017-07-28 at the Wayback Machine, Morris County Vocational School District. Accessed July 27, 2017.
- New Jersey School Directory for Morris County, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed December 29, 2016.
- Butler Public Schools
- Butler Public Schools's 2015–16 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- Butler Public Schools, National Center for Education Statistics