COVID-19 pandemic in Caraga
|COVID-19 pandemic in Caraga|
Confirmed cases in Caraga by locality (as of July 4)[note 1]
|First outbreak||Wuhan, Hubei, China|
|Arrival date||April 6, 2020|
(3 months, 4 weeks and 1 day)
The COVID-19 pandemic in Caraga is part of the worldwide pandemic of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) caused by severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2). The virus reached Caraga on April 6, 2020, when the first case of the disease was confirmed in Butuan. The region was the last of the Philippines' 17 regions to confirm their first case. All provinces except Dinagat Islands has at least one confirmed COVID-19 case.
The first COVID-19 confirmed case in the Caraga region was announced on April 6, that of a 68-year-old male from Butuan who was admitted at the Caraga Regional Hospital in Surigao City. The patient had travel history to Manila, arrived in Butuan on March 12, and developed symptoms while in self-quarantine. The whole region was placed under enhanced community quarantine within the same day. The region was the last region in the Philippines to confirm its first COVID-19 case.
Agusan del Norte confirmed its first case on May 24. The case was that of a male patient who arrived in the region from Metro Manila on February 29. The patient is asymptomatic at the time of confirmation and underwent a rapid antibody-based test on May 19 conducted by the local government. Agusan del Sur already has at least a recorded case by the end of May 2020.
The first three cases in Surigao del Sur were recorded on June 19, two in Bislig and one in Lingig. Community transmission was also confirmed in Butuan in the same day after it was learned that three people who tested positive for COVID-19 had no travel history to a place with confirmed community transmission or contact to a known infected person.
- "Caraga reports first COVID-19 case". CNN Philippines. April 6, 2020. Retrieved April 6, 2020.
- Panganiban, Chris (April 6, 2020). "Caraga region no longer COVID-19 free". MindaNews. Retrieved April 7, 2020.
- "Caraga put under enhanced quarantine after confirming region's first COVID-19 case". CNN Philippines. April 6, 2020. Retrieved May 21, 2020.
- Panganiban, Chris (May 16, 2020). "Caraga health worker is 4th COVID-19 case in region". MindaNews. Retrieved May 21, 2020.
- "5th COVID-19 positive in Caraga recorded". Department of Health Caraga. May 24, 2020. Retrieved May 24, 2020.
- Awitan, Charmane (May 24, 2020). "Kumpirmadong kaso ng COVID-19 sa Caraga region, umabot na sa 5". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved May 24, 2020.
- "DOH Caraga Announces Three New COVID-19 Cases". RPN. May 31, 2020. Retrieved July 6, 2020.
- "DOH confirms local transmission of Covid-19 in Butuan". Philippine News Agency. June 19, 2020. Retrieved June 20, 2020.
- "First three COVID-19 cases reported in Surigao del Sur". CNN Philippines. June 20, 2020. Retrieved June 20, 2020.
- Breakdown of confirmed cases is according to the COVID-19 Case Tracker of the Department of Health.