Cannock Chase Miners' Association
|Full name||Cannock Chase Miners', Enginemen's and Surfacemen's Association|
|Head union||Midland Miners' Federation|
|Office location||Miners' Hall, West Hill, Hednesford|
The union was founded in 1876. Albert Stanley became the leader of the union in 1884, and he put it on a much sounder footing. In 1886, it became a founder constituent of the Midland Counties Miners' Federation, through which it subsequently became part of the Miners' Federation of Great Britain (MFGB). The association registered as a union with the Board of Trade in 1887, and at that point Stanley was officially appointed as general secretary. Membership of the union grew steadily, reaching 7,500 in 1907.
In 1945, the union became the Cannock Chase District of the Midland Area of the National Union of Mineworkers, with far less autonomy than before. A couple of years later, it absorbed the Pelsall District.
- 1884: Albert Stanley
- 1907: S. F. Dangerfield
- c.1915: John Baker
- Marsh, Arthur; Ryan, Victoria (1984). Historical Directory of Trade Unions. 2. Aldershot: Gower Publishing. p. 208. ISBN 0566021617.
- Page Arnot, Robin (1949). The Miners; a History of the Miners' Federation of Great Britain. 2. Allen & Unwin. p. 105.
- Report on Trade Unions in 1905-1907. London: Board of Trade. 1909. p. 82-101.
- Smethurst, John B.; Carter, Peter (June 2009). Historical Directory of Trade Unions. 6. Farnham: Ashgate Publishing. p. 508. ISBN 9780754666837. LCCN 80-151653.
- [[National Union of Mineworkers (UK)|]], "Annual Conference 1946: Report of the National Executive Committee", p.98