Canton High School (Massachusetts)
A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (March 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Canton High School|
Canton High School
900 Washington Street
|Teaching staff||69.75 (FTE)|
|Student to teacher ratio||14.08|
|Athletics conference||Hockomock League|
Canton High School is situated in Canton, about 15 mi (24 km) southwest of downtown Boston. First discussed in 1866 among prominent members of the town of Canton, the high school was established in 1869, when, for the first time, four classes were educated in the same building at a grammar school in South Canton.
In 1911 the Hemenway School became Canton's principle high school due to the population increase and a need for a larger building. It became an elementary school in 1950 after high school students transferred to a new building.
The student body makeup is 49 percent male and 51 percent female, and the total minority enrollment is 24 percent.
Canton High School's athletic teams compete in the Hockomock League.
In November 2019 Canton won the girls volleyball Division II state championship.
- Martin J. Badoian, mathematics teacher
- Chuck Hogan, a novelist
- Bobby Witt, a former baseball player for the Texas Rangers
- Bill Burr, a stand-up comedian, actor, writer, and podcaster
- Kevin Rooney, hockey player for the New Jersey Devils
- Berger, Mike (5 August 2016). "New supt. wraps up busy 1st month with CHS dean hire | Canton Citizen". Canton Citizen. Retrieved 27 March 2017.
- "Canton High". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved January 4, 2020.
- "Massachusetts Department Of Elementary And Secondary Education - 2017-18 SAT Performance Report - All Students Statewide Report". profiles.doe.mass.edu.
- Canton High School Alumni Register: 1869–1896. Boston: Canton High School Association. 1897. p. iv.
- "cantonmahistorical [licensed for non-commercial use only] / Hemenway School". cantonmahistorical.pbworks.com.
- "Canton High School Overview at USNews". usnews.com. Retrieved August 5, 2013.
- "Hockomock Sports". hockomocksports.com/. Retrieved 2017-05-04.
- Chase, Brandon (16 November 2019). "Needham tops Winchester for first girls' volleyball state title - The Boston Globe". BostonGlobe.com. Retrieved 19 November 2019.
- Pickette, Jeffrey. "Chuck Hogan takes 'Town' by storm | Canton Citizen". Canton Citizen. Retrieved 29 March 2017.
- Thomas, Linda. "PROFILES: Canton's Bobby Witt looks back at Major League career". Wicked Local. Retrieved 29 March 2017.
- Loftus, Mike. "Canton's Kevin Rooney establishing himself with NHL's Devils". Canton Journal. Retrieved 12 April 2020.
Rooney played for a state high school champion (Canton, 2010), a NEPSAC champion (Berkshire School, 2012) and an NCAA champion (Providence College, 2015) as an amateur...