Carlow–Kildare (Dáil constituency)
|Former Dáil Éireann|
Location of Carlow–Kildare within Ireland
|County/City council||County Carlow|
Carlow–Kildare was a parliamentary constituency represented in Dáil Éireann, the lower house of the Irish parliament or Oireachtas from 1937 to 1948. The constituency elected 4 deputies (Teachtaí Dála, commonly known as TDs) to the Dáil, using the single transferable vote form of proportional representation (PR-STV).
- "The administrative County of Kildare.
- The administrative County of Carlow except the portion thereof which is comprised in the County Constituencies of Wicklow and Wexford."
The Act defines the parts of Carlow in the Wicklow constituency as:
- "The District Electoral Divisions of:
- Clonmore, Hacketstown, Haroldstown, Kineagh, Rahill, Rathvilly, Tiknock and Williamstown in the administrative County of Carlow."
The parts of Carlow in the Wexford constituency are defined as:
- "The District Electoral Divisions of:
- Ballyellin, Ballymurphy, Borris, Coonogue, Corries, Glynn, Killedmond, Kyle, Marley, Rathanna, Sliguff and Tinnahinch in the administrative County of Carlow."
|Teachtaí Dála (TDs) for Carlow–Kildare 1937–1948|
|13th||1948||Constituency abolished. See Carlow–Kilkenny and Kildare|
Note: The columns in this table are used only for presentational purposes, and no significance should be attached to the order of columns. For details of the order in which seats were won at each election, see the detailed results of that election.
1944 general election
|1944 general election: Carlow–Kildare|
|Fianna Fáil||Thomas Harris||8,797||26.3||1||1|
|Fine Gael||James Hughes||6,638||19.8||2|
|Labour Party||William Norton||6,142||18.3||4|
|Fianna Fáil||Francis Humphreys||4,357||13.0||3|
|Labour Party||Thomas Hayden||3,096||9.2|
|Fine Gael||Patrick Frayne||2,598||7.8|
|Fianna Fáil||Thomas Mullins||1,875||5.6|
|Electorate: ? Valid: 33,503 Quota: 6,701 Turnout:|
1943 general election
|1943 general election: Carlow–Kildare|
|Labour Party||William Norton||8,355||22.5||1||1|
|Fianna Fáil||Thomas Harris||8,229||22.2||2||1|
|Fine Gael||James Hughes||6,107||16.5||3|
|Fianna Fáil||Francis Humphreys||3,804||10.3||4|
|Labour Party||Thomas Hayden||3,571||9.6|
|Fine Gael||Gerard Sweetman||2,924||7.9|
|Fianna Fáil||Thomas Mullins||1,117||3.0|
|Electorate: ? Valid: 37,114 Quota: 7,423 Turnout:|
1938 general election
|1938 general election: Carlow–Kildare|
|Fianna Fáil||Thomas Harris||7,874||22.0||1||1|
|Labour Party||William Norton||7,467||20.8||2||1|
|Fine Gael||James Hughes||6,104||17.0||4|
|Fine Gael||Sydney Minch||5,749||16.1|
|Fianna Fáil||Francis Humphreys||5,645||15.8||3|
|Fianna Fáil||William Tynan||2,988||8.3|
|Electorate: ? Valid: 35,827 Quota: 7,166 Turnout:|
1937 general election
|1937 general election: Carlow–Kildare|
|Labour Party||William Norton||9,427||26.0||1||1|
|Fine Gael||Sydney Minch||5,957||16.5||2|
|Fianna Fáil||Francis Humphreys||5,515||15.2||4|
|Fianna Fáil||Thomas Harris||5,163||14.3||3|
|Fianna Fáil||Brigid Darby||4,021||11.1|
|Fine Gael||Gerard Sweetman||3,073||8.5|
|Fine Gael||Paddy Nolan||3,041||8.4|
|Electorate: ? Valid: 36,197 Quota: 7,240 Turnout:|
- Dáil constituencies
- Politics of the Republic of Ireland
- Historic Dáil constituencies
- Elections in the Republic of Ireland
- "Electoral (Revision of Constituencies) Act, 1935: First Schedule (Revised constituencies)". Irish Statute Book database. Retrieved 12 February 2009.
- "Electoral (Amendment) Act, 1947: First Schedule (Constituencies)". Irish Statute Book database. Retrieved 13 September 2010.
- Walker, Brian M, ed. (1992). Parliamentary election results in Ireland, 1918–92. Dublin: Royal Irish Academy. ISBN 0-901714-96-8. ISSN 0332-0286.
- "General election 1937: Carlow–Kildare". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 13 September 2010.
- "General election 1938: Carlow–Kildare". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 13 September 2010.
- "General election 1943: Carlow–Kildare". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 13 September 2010.
- "General election 1944: Carlow–Kildare". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 13 September 2010.