|Born: May 1, 1997|
Casey A. Mize (born May 1, 1997) is an American professional baseball pitcher in the Detroit Tigers organization. He was selected by the Tigers with the first overall pick in the 2018 MLB draft. He played college baseball for the Auburn Tigers.
As a freshman in 2016, he appeared in 16 games with 7 starts and went 2–5 with a 3.52 earned run average (ERA) and 59 strikeouts. As a sophomore in 2017, Mize pitched in 13 games with 12 starts, going 8–2 with a 2.04 ERA with 109 strikeouts and only nine walks. After the season, he played for the United States collegiate national team during the summer. Mize was named Auburn's opening day starter for the 2018 season. On March 9, 2018, Mize threw a no-hitter against the Northeastern Huskies, the ninth in program history.
The Detroit Tigers selected Mize with the first overall pick in the 2018 Major League Baseball draft. On June 25, 2018, Mize signed with the Tigers, featuring a $7.5 million signing bonus. He made his professional debut with the Gulf Coast Tigers of the Rookie-level Gulf Coast League. After one start, he was promoted to the Lakeland Flying Tigers of the Class A-Advanced Florida State League. After compiling a combined 0–1 record with a 3.95 ERA in five starts between both teams, Mize was shut down for the rest of the season due to an innings limit.
In 2019, the Tigers invited Mize to spring training as a non-roster player. He returned to Lakeland to begin the 2019 season, and was their Opening Day starter. After making four starts for Lakeland with an 0.35 ERA, the Tigers promoted Mize to the Erie SeaWolves of the Class AA Eastern League. In his first start for Erie, he tossed a no-hitter, in which he hit a batter, walked another, and struck out seven on 98 pitches, in a 1–0 SeaWolves victory over the Altoona Curve. On June 15, Mize was placed on the 7-day injured list with shoulder inflammation.
- Hutchinson, Derick (June 4, 2018). "Detroit Tigers select Auburn pitcher Casey Mize with No. 1 overall pick in MLB draft". ClickOnDetroit.com. Retrieved June 25, 2018.
- Shearer, Jeff (October 18, 2017). "'Mom, I'm going to play on that field one day' - baseball's Casey Mize". Auburn Tigers. Retrieved June 25, 2018.
- Feinsand, Mark (June 4, 2018). "How Mize went from undrafted to fave to go No. 1". MLB.com. Retrieved June 25, 2018.
- Vitale, Josh (January 26, 2018). "Casey Mize returns to mound as Auburn baseball opens spring practice". Opelika-Auburn News. Retrieved February 15, 2018.
- Green, Tom (April 14, 2017). "Auburn baseball's Casey Mize accepts USA Collegiate National team invite". AL.com. Retrieved February 15, 2018.
- McCue, Owen (July 3, 2017). "After Breakout Year At Auburn, Casey Mize Impresses With Collegiate National Team". Baseball America. Retrieved June 25, 2018.
- Stevens, Matthew (January 26, 2018). "All-American RHP Casey Mize to get Auburn's opening day start". Montgomery Advertiser. Retrieved February 15, 2018.
- "Casey Mize Tosses No-Hitter as Auburn Defeats Northeastern". Auburn Tigers. March 9, 2018. Retrieved March 15, 2018.
- "Tigers draft Auburn right-hander Casey Mize with No. 1 pick". ESPN.com. Associated Press. June 5, 2018. Retrieved June 7, 2018.
- Beck, Jason (June 25, 2018). "Tigers agree to deal with No. 1 pick Mize". MLB.com. Retrieved June 25, 2018.
- "Casey Mize Stats, Highlights, Bio - MiLB.com Stats - The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". MiLB.com. Retrieved September 11, 2018.
- Lara-Cinisomo, Vincent (August 18, 2018). "Tigers shut down top prospect Mize". MiLB.com. Retrieved September 11, 2018.
- Seidel, Jeff (April 29, 2019). "No-no! Detroit Tigers' Casey Mize throws brilliant no-hitter in Double-A debut". Detroit Free Press. Retrieved April 30, 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Casey Mize.|