November 17, 1957
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
|Died||March 21, 2007 (aged 49)|
Los Angeles, U.S.
Catherine Seipp (//; November 17, 1957 – March 21, 2007) was a Los Angeles freelance writer and media critic. She is best known for writing the weekly "From the Left Coast" column for National Review Online and a monthly column for the Independent Women's Forum and for her early recognition of the potential significance of the blogosphere.
Cathy Seipp was born in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada in November 1957. Her family moved to Los Alamitos, California when she was five years old. When she was 16, she enrolled at UCLA and earned a bachelor's degree in English.
Seipp married Jerry Lazar in 1986; their daughter, Maia, was born in 1989. Seipp and Lazar divorced in 1990, and Seipp never remarried. Seipp, a non-smoker, died of lung cancer on March 21, 2007. She is survived by her parents, daughter, and sister.
In addition to her regular columns, Seipp wrote for a variety of publications and websites, including Buzz, Mediaweek, UPI, New York Press, TV Guide, Reason, Forbes, Salon, Penthouse, Pages, Canada's National Post, and The Wall Street Journal. During the 1980s, Seipp wrote a column titled "Miss Hot Tips" for the Los Angeles Daily News giving household hints and suggesting inexpensive but classy entertainments.
Seipp, a non-smoker, died of lung cancer on March 21, 2007. She is survived by her parents, daughter, and sister.
- "I just want to let everyone know having cancer hasn't made me a better person."
- "And to all those proper feminists asking how I could work for a mag [Penthouse] that exploits women like that, I would suggest: Go write for a woman's mag if you want to experience an institution that exploits women."
- Brian Carroll, Berry College. "Culture Clash: Journalism and the Communal Ethos of the Blogosphere". Into the blogosphere. Archived from the original on July 30, 2004. Retrieved March 23, 2007.
- Barbara K. Kaye (January 2005). "It's a Blog, Blog, Blog World: Users and Uses of Weblogs" (Fee). Atlantic Journal of Communication. 13 (2). doi:10.1207/s15456889ajc1302_2.
- Amy Alkon (March 21, 2007). "Cathy Siepp". Advice Goddess Blog.
- Cathy Siepp (January 13, 2004). "Living with Playboy". National Review Online.
This article's use of external links may not follow Wikipedia's policies or guidelines. (August 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- An NRO Symposium: Friends remember Cathy Seipp
- Independent Women's Forum
- Profile by Luke Ford
- Los Angeles Times obituary
- The New York Times obituary
- Miss Seipp: a tribute by Rip Rense
- Remembering Cathy Nancy Rommelmann for LA Observed
- NRO Archive
- Article on Health Insurance
- Standing room only
- Asthma Attack in Reason
- Reason archive