Catholic University of Croatia
Seal of Catholic University of Croatia
|Motto||Lux vera (Latin)|
The True Light (English)
Svjetlo istinsko (Croatian)
|Established||June 3, 2006|
|Part of a series on the|
On October 12, 2004, Croatian Bishops' Conference, on its 29th plenary session, held in Zadar, adopted a Decision on Establishment of the Catholic University of Croatia. The Decision stipulated that the founder of the University was Archdiocese of Zagreb and its sponsor Croatian Bishops' Conference.
On January 6, 2005, Archbishop Josip Bozanić appointed Commission for the Establishment of the Catholic University of Croatia whose mission was to prepare the establishment. On January 7, 2005, Bozanić appointed five members to the Commission. Commission completed its task on June 3, 2006, when Bozanić officially established the University with the publication of "Decree on the Establishment of the Catholic University of Croatia-Luce Vera Illuminata" (Illuminated with the True Light) and "Instruction for the Establishment" (no. 1273-2/2006). Commission for the establishment become Commission of the Croatian Catholic University. It had to prepare a study for the launch of the University. Professor at the Catholic Faculty of Theological of the University of Zagreb, bishop Ivan Šaško was appointed interim rector.
On June 6, 2006, Archdiocese of Zagreb and the Croatian Government signed an agreement on the exchange of property according to which the Archdiocese was given premises of the former military compound in Črnomerec for the exchange of its properties in Vlaška street that were confiscated after the World War II by the Yugoslav government.
On July 3, 2008, Ministry of Science, Education and Sports issued a license to the University for performing study programs in psychology, sociology and history and with equal conditions of employment for five years.
University premises were blessed on September 19, 2008, by the Cardinal Secretary of State Tarcisio Bertone. On that occasion, Bozanić explained the reasons for the establishment of the University: "The basis for the establishment of this University is a commitment of the Catholic Church to assist the Croatian system of higher education while carrying out its mission and to streamline its opportunities in the social space because the Church believes that it's very important, and for that there were no preconditions in the past decades. We are aware that the Church and the Gospel have a lot to say about university life."
During his visit to Croatia on June 4, 2011, Pope Benedict XVI called the establishment of the University to be a "sign of hope".
In September 2011 a change of University leadership occurred when Ivan Šaško was appointed to the position of the auxiliary bishop of Zagreb so he had to resign and was succeeded by Željko Tanjić.
The first academic year began in 2010/2011 when 40 students enrolled in the first year of the study program of history. In October 2011, the University started its programs in psychology and sociology. First graduates of the undergraduate study program in history were promoted in 2014.
In July 2014 University received accreditation for scientific activity in the field of social sciences and humanities. In the academic year 2015/2016, University started its study program in communicology and nursing.
University annually accepts 40 full-time students per study program and currently has around 500 students.
Values promoted by the University are:
- Development of a whole person - based on the Catholic heritage, education, study and knowledge University wants to educate personalities that are ready to work responsibly in society and the Church,
- Catholic identity - University believes that Catholic identity is not an obstacle, but enrichment and guidance of the scientific, research and university work to the wider horizons of the truth,
- Integrity - what University says it does it. University words and its actions reflect the reliability, honesty, and truth that it stands for,
- Achievements - University expects the excellence of each individual and the entire university community in achieving the goals,
- Investments - University is ready to continually invest in its development so it can provide the best possible opportunity for young people to realize their aspirations in life,
- Prudence - knowledge and wisdom, freedom and truth, love, and understanding.
Faculties of Study
The University offers B.A. and M.A. degrees in:
Governance and University Administration
|Vice-Rector for Academic Affairs||Ines Sabotić|
|Vice-Rector for Science||Hrvoje Štefančić|
|Vice-Rector for International Relations||Emilio Marin|
|Vice-Rector for Organization and Financial Affairs||Gordan Črpić|
- "Objavljujemo dekret »Luce vera illuminata« zagrebačkoga nadbiskupa kardinala Josipa Bozanića | Osnovano Hrvatsko katoličko sveučilište | Izdvojeno | Glas Koncila | 5.11.2006. | 45 (1689)". glas-koncila.hr. Retrieved 2015-09-25.
- "Događanja – Katoličko sveučilište dobilo prostore bivše vojarne – Portal Glasa Koncila". glas-koncila.hr. Archived from the original on 2015-09-24. Retrieved 2015-09-25.
- "IKA - Informativna katolička agencija". ika.hr. Retrieved 2015-09-25.
- "Zahvala za pontifikat pape Benedikta XVI. | Hrvatsko katoličko sveučilište". unicath.hr. Retrieved 2015-09-25.
- "Završili upisi u akademsku godinu 2014./2015. | Hrvatsko katoličko sveučilište". unicath.hr. Retrieved 2015-09-25.