City of Cazin
City center square
Location of Cazin within Bosnia and Herzegovina
|Country||Bosnia and Herzegovina|
|Entity||Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina|
|• Municipality president||Nermin Ogrešević (A-SDA)|
|• Total||356 km2 (137 sq mi)|
(Census 2013 )
|• Density||185.81/km2 (481.2/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Area code(s)||+387 37|
Cazin is a city located in Una-Sana Canton of the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina, an entity of Bosnia and Herzegovina. It is situated in northwest Bosnia and Herzegovina in the Bosanska Krajina region, near the border with Croatia. As of 2013, it has a population of 66,149 inhabitants.
History and features
The Cazin uprising of 1950, an armed anti-state rebellion of peasants, occurred in Cazin and neighboring Velika Kladuša and Slunj, which were all part of Communist Yugoslavia at the time. The peasants revolted against the forced collectivization and collective farms by the Yugoslav government on the farmers of its country. Following a drought in 1949, the peasants of Yugoslavia were unable to meet unrealistic quotas set by their government and were punished. The revolt that followed the drought resulted in the killings and persecution of those who organized the uprising, but also many innocent civilians. It was the only peasant rebellion in the history of Cold War Europe.
The city was successfully defended by the Bosnian Army during the War in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Aside from the urban area of Cazin, the city administrative area comprises the following settlements:
- Brezova Kosa
- Donja Barska
- Donja Koprivna
- Donja Lučka
- Gornja Barska
- Gornja Koprivna
- Gornja Lučka
- Hadžin Potok
- Ostrožac na Uni
- Šturlićka Platnica
- Tržačka Platnica
- Tržačka Raštela
According to the 2013 census, the city of Cazin has a population of 66,149 inhabitants.
The ethnic composition of the municipality:
- "CAZINSKA BUNA 1950: Danas se navršavaju 62 godine od ustanka u Krajini". Cazin. 6 May 2012. Archived from the original on 9 June 2012. Retrieved 11 February 2014.
- "Klanjana kolektivna dženaza žrtvama Cazinske bune iz 1950. godine". Haber. 11 May 2012. Archived from the original on 22 February 2014. Retrieved 11 February 2014.
- "Vera Kržišnik Bukić i Cazinska buna". Radio Sarajevo. 4 May 2012. Archived from the original on 22 February 2014. Retrieved 11 February 2014.
- "Rock and Hard Places: Travels to Backstages, Frontlines and Assorted Sideshows". Google Books. 2010. Retrieved 11 February 2014.
- "Bosnian Congres - census 1991 - North of Bosnia". Hdmagazine.com. Archived from the original on 13 June 2013. Retrieved 9 May 2018.
- "POPIS STANOVNIŠTVA, DOMAĆINSTAVA I STANOVA U BOSNI I HERCEGOVINI, 2013. REZULTATI POPISA" (PDF). popis2013.ba (in Serbian). Retrieved 9 May 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Cazin.|